What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealant between ribs and skin

Dozer

Hi. I just started my RV-10 and after watching many videos on YouTube, I found this:
https://youtu.be/noLVzZvaJII?t=404

And I thought, why don't use it between all ribs and skin, skin with skin overlaps, etc....

PR-1005-L BUNA-N-SLOSH COATING

It will definitely make the plane stronger (and yes, heavier) and it will prevent any corrosion between surfaces.

What do you think about my idea?

The short answer is no. Not needed and all kinds of downsides.

Corrosion on overlaps and such is addressed with a good epoxy primer.

Carl

Just use epoxy primer for interior and it will protect your RV10. Nothing will last forever. Better corrosion protection if you live in Arizona compare to Florida but following established practices will speed up your build or it will take forever, unless you want to stretch it out.

Of course, in the commercial world fay surface sealing is standard practice, and no arguing that it makes a lot of sense for many reasons.
Is it necessary, not really but other than the extra work, messy and a very little extra weight there is no real downside that I can think of. No doubt it would add a bit of strength to the structure (needed or not). A fully primed interior with 2 part epoxy and fay surface sealed would make for one high quality beast.
Various sealants can be had in extended work life times, I say go for it!
(you could probably remove half the rivets and still fly it if put together like this)

Last edited:
If you're going to use a sealant, you might consider fuel tank sealant like Pro-Seal or the other brands that Van's sells.

Dave

Consider that even if you primed or coated all of your parts, if you made any scratches to the primer or coating during installation, you have an area for corrosion to occur; and it will now be in an area you cannot easily inspect. And that's why I recommend that even for the folks that prime interior parts to do corrosion protection with CorrosionX or equivalent.

What is the problem you're trying to solve? A properly maintained aluminum aircraft will last more than 50 years without any internal primer. For reference, My 1961 debonair is still clean and shiny with unprimed interior parts straight from Beechcraft.

Do consider that you're not building a ship for ocean transport, and that with aircraft there are always trade-offs related to weight. If you add a lot of additional weight, you may have a corrosion free aircraft, but it will be hauling extra weight around at reduced performance. And it may end up not being corrosion-free after all.

A little sealant may not seem like much, but a pound here and a pound there and before you know it, you've reduced an hour of fuel from your usable load.

Back