What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question

JGT

Q: For a Lyc 360 fixed metal prop is EFI and EIS a more efficient and dependable way to go than standard Carb /Mags on a new RV-8A ??

Q: For a Lyc 360 fixed metal prop is EFI and EIS a more efficient and dependable way to go than standard Carb /Mags on a new RV-8A ??

Definitely. But as noted above, don't take our word for it - go talk to Ross, he'll be happy to discuss it.

Depends. What is the mission profile for the airplane? If you are mostly doing 30 minute pancake flights thats a different answer than high and long cross country work. (And yes, you should expect Ross to ask you a similar question if you call him).

I suspect this may kick over a conversational hornets nest, but it's hard to imaging anything being more dependable (or cheap to maintain) than a dual magneto carbureted Lycoming with a fixed pitch aluminum prop.

Yeah, I know. And before you start, I've had carb ice and mag failures too, and I'm building a fuel injected dual P-mag monster.

I said more dependable, and cheap, not more efficient :)

I suspect this may kick over a conversational hornets nest, but it's hard to imaging anything being more dependable (or cheap to maintain) than a dual magneto carbureted Lycoming with a fixed pitch aluminum prop...

Assuming you drive a car built in the last 20 years or so, can you remember the last time you had to adjust the mixture or timing? Remember when doing a "tune up" was an actual part of automotive ownership?

Me neither.

Dependable means less failure prone. Can I depend on this thing to work when I need it to. Mags fail all the time. Magnetos are probably one of the least dependable ignition types available. We just tolerate it because that's how it's always been, and replacement mags are (usually) easy to find.

The various fuel delivery systems are all pretty solid. Carb, mechanical fuel injection or EFI all seem to be pretty solid. EFI is more complex since they're now electrically dependent and require a much more failure tolerant electrical system.

Back