What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tracking Service Bulletins and Plans Updates

thiggins

Well Known Member
Seems like a rookie question, but just how can we know that any given service bulletin has been incorporated into the plans/instructions in general?

I can look at the modification dates and hope that an update to the plans with a date later than a bulletin has the corresponding improvements, but how can we link them together?

The comments in the update aren't always meaningful (e.g. "changes made").

For example: bulletin 18-02-02 seems pretty important, and I can see from the empennage I have that at least some of the improvements are there, but all of them ? Sure wish I could verify whether or not I'm covered.

Thanks

Last edited:
I wonder the same thing. I'm thinking about noting each SB that I complied with while building. I have a newer kit and the horizontal stab, rear wing spar and elevator hinge points SBs were with it. I think it would be beneficial for any future owners of the airplane.

Bug tracker

I’m a software guy by trade, and we used defect tracking systems for “bugs”.
A service bulletin is basically a “bug” in an airplane. I’m sure Vans uses a similar method, as not doing so would make things just impossible. It would be nice to get access to that traceability, SB’s associated with specific plan/design revisions.
Seems like a necessity to me.

All of us poor builders trying to figure it out is fraught with calamity.

😵*💫

Log entry

I'm surprised by the number of people who don't note these in their log books. It's a permanent record that follows the plane and logging them can prevent duplicate work. Any plane I inspect will have them logged.
Merry Christmas all!

I keep a spreadsheet of all the Vans and ROTAX notices along with their status regarding my plane. I update it every annual.

How about adding a Revision List to the front of your builders manual. Similar to what you find in front of all avionics manuals.

Misunderstanding?

Seems like I’m not getting my situation communicated clearly enough…

I’m not concerned with how we document SB compliance on an existing airframe component.

I’m in the middle of building a 12iS, and it’s all recent stuff: empennage from late 2020, wing kit from October of this year, along with the corresponding plans.
When a SB is issued, at some (unknown?) point Vans incorporates that SB into kits and documents. How do we know when? Which revision?

They might solve a SB for later kits in a different way, by using thicker materials, doublers, redesign, etc…it would not look exactly like applying a SB to an already built airframe.

How can we know what SB/solution is incorporated into a given revision of the plans ? Seems like information that should be available to builders.

Last edited:
yes

Just did my condition inspection on the -10 and noted this.

It would be nice if they added a column to the SB matrix that listed the date of SB incorporation to the new kit.

I had to go back and look at what date my kit was delivered to compare with the SB text...

Just did my condition inspection on the -10 and noted this.

It would be nice if they added a column to the SB matrix that listed the date of SB incorporation to the new kit.

I had to go back and look at what date my kit was delivered to compare with the SB text...

They do on the 12iS in the description, eg: "RV-12iS Powerplant kits delivered prior to Oct 10, 2019 and SLSA aircraft 12076-12080". But even that's a bit ambiguous given the lead times between crating, shipping, and delivery. A sub-kit serial number would make everyone's life easier.

On the -10 you have to look at the SB itself like you said. On my build I keep the SB instructions in the back of the binder along with the compliance date with the goal of not having any open SBs when the build is complete.

As for when the SB is integrated into the kit.. that varies. It took almost 5 years for them to revise the -10 KAI with the aileron bracket changes; they shipped the SB kit and you had to piece together how to ignore the plans. However, the rudder stop SB seems to have been integrated as part of the SB.

It's worth signing up for notifications through the site as well. Van's will send SB info to your email.

yep...

I had two that were concerning, one being the F-1010 doublers in the tailbone...really did not want to tear that all apart. Luckily it had already been included in the kit I have! The other was the nose gear isolator flange. My kit was shipped just after the incorporation update so I had to actually go looking for it...

I had two that were concerning, one being the F-1010 doublers in the tailbone...really did not want to tear that all apart. Luckily it had already been included in the kit I have! The other was the nose gear isolator flange. My kit was shipped just after the incorporation update so I had to actually go looking for it...

Exactly. All of us are not aerospace engineers, and can’t always tell what we’re looking at. Plus, we shouldn’t have to go running around trying to figure out if we have it or not. That information is available someplace, and it would be a simple look up based on our builder ID, or serial number, or revision date of the plans,…

Sorry...

************ for RV-10 EXAMPLE ***************

SB-14-8-29

Engine mount elastomer plate.

Last edited:
Indexes

I made indexes for Safety Directives, Service Bulletins and Service Notices noting the number of the publication, date released, brief description, applicability; and then a column for Action Taken. In the Action Taken column I note N/A to serial number _____, or, installation of _____ completed on ______ or, in pencil kit#___ ordered _____, etc. Real pain to keep these Indexes up to date. Actions taken are also recorded in the applicable log book.

Back