What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB power outlets

I think Qualcomm just ended up confusing everyone now with the two standards we have...sorta like Apple's lightning connector.. they just went off and did their own thing because there was nothing else on the market. Market reacts by creating their own open standard that's incompatible with whomever was first.

With USB, its important to remember that USB-A and USB-C (and the seldom used, except for older printers/scanners, USB-B) is just a physical format.

QC and PD are power delivery protocols.. they are completely separate from USB-A and USB-C.. However, the convention is that QC uses a USB-A connector; and PD uses a USB-C connector... but that's not always the case.

Garmin uses USB B for their transponder updates

With USB, its important to remember that USB-A and USB-C (and the seldom used, except for older printers/scanners, USB-B) is just a physical format.

Besides using USB-B for printers/scanners for some reason Garmin uses USB B to update their transponder (GTX-45R). Maybe they knew we would have lots of old printer cables around??

I just received this unit. Will install this weekend and report back.

View attachment 46250

I just installed this USB charger and it makes no noise on the radio. I did plug my I Pad/Foreflight into the USB A QC port and it didn't charge very well, it would gain 4% to 5% in about an hour flight. Then I plugged it into the USB C PD port, it charged 10% in about 45 minutes.

I just installed this USB charger and it makes no noise on the radio. I did plug my I Pad/Foreflight into the USB A QC port and it didn't charge very well, it would gain 4% to 5% in about an hour flight. Then I plugged it into the USB C PD port, it charged 10% in about 45 minutes.

Ipads aren't the best at charging when in use, specially if it's hot outside. If it stays on and doesn't discharge during the entire flight, I'd call that a successful flight.

I've been thinking about adding a USB-C powered outlet under the instrument panel - similar position to where the usb ports are for the Dynon. The thought being this would be a better place to power a panel mounted iPad - no wires coming up from the center console.

Looking at the wiring diagram (WH-00133-R9-2.pdf) there is an unused circuit with a 7.5A fuse for a NAV/COM - I only have a COM radio and that's on a different circuit.

Can anyone confirm my reading of the circuit to confirm if this is a reasonable idea ?

Thanks

Robert

Besides using USB-B for printers/scanners for some reason Garmin uses USB B to update their transponder (GTX-45R). Maybe they knew we would have lots of old printer cables around??

The pros and cons are cycle life, size, and robustness.

The USB-B connectors are lower cycle life (~1500), but for updates, this should be more than adequate.

The USB-B connector is larger, but a transponder is not particularly space constrained. Overall box size and panel area are quite generous relative to the connector.

The main advantage is connector robustness. The larger connector is simply much harder to break. Mini, micro, and C are all surface mount and can be torn off by excessive insertion force.

The main advantage is connector robustness. The larger connector is simply much harder to break. Mini, micro, and C are all surface mount and can be torn off by excessive insertion force.

Excellent point. And Garmin uses a pigtail with a plug for the USB connector so if the connector ever breaks or wears out all a technician has to do is re-pin a new pigtail.

In fact sometimes I will replace the Garmin pigtail with a Startech version from Amazon that supports bulkhead mounting. The colors of the wires are the same as the Garmin pigtail. Looks like the atrached photo. I cut off the male connector and then srrip the wire leads. The panel connector can be flush mounted, put in an angle bracket or just left hanging like the Garmin pigtail.

Attachments

• 81GdnFjDwcL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    81GdnFjDwcL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 33
Back