What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake fluid level check

How do you guys check the level of your brake reservoir? I can't find anything in the maintenance manual (which likely means that it is simple and I'm missing something).

Thanks for your help,
Dan

Answer is:

How do you guys check the level of your brake reservoir? I can't find anything in the maintenance manual (which likely means that it is simple and I'm missing something).

Thanks for your help,
Dan

I want to know too.

I was thinking of rigging up some clear tubing to use as a level sight tube, but curious if I am over solving.

I guess if it is not on the hangar floor, the level must be OK?

I have a white zip tie marked with a permanent black marker where full is and dip it in the reservoir. I usually check it every 3 months.

I use a drinking straw. dip it in to the bottom, seal the top with your finger and pull it out to check level.

Last edited:
I have a white zip tie marked with a permanent black marker where full is and dip it in the reservoir. I usually check it every 3 months.

^^ This ^^

Just cut the feeder end off of the zip tie. The little teeth catch the fluid.

I used a plain white zip tie just today. Stuck it in until bottomed out, pinch the part sticking out of the mouth of the opening with two fingers to reference FULL, pull it out and read the level (mine was 3/4 full, perfect!).

Thanks for your help,
Dan

My eyes….cap off, look, top off with fluid if necessary. Im guessing maybe some big differences between my Gerdes reservoir and whats sold by Vans in recent years. My 6A is 29 years old.

Attachments

• 43FB146F-E0E4-401F-94A7-B1D372BD714B.jpg
    43FB146F-E0E4-401F-94A7-B1D372BD714B.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 205
Smart! I just fill it to the top , then dip in the tail of a zip tie to displace a little so it’s got a little room, then re cap it.

Keep in mind that if the reservoir is topped off when it has been quite a while since brake pads have been changed, when the caliper pistons get pushed fully back into the calipers when new pads get installed get installed there will be a mess from the excess fluid that gets pushed out of the reservoir.

I also use a white tie wrap as a dip stick but I never fill above the 3/4 point unless I have just installed new pads.

Keep in mind that if the reservoir is topped off when it has been quite a while since brake pads have been changed, when the caliper pistons get pushed fully back into the calipers when new pads get installed get installed there will be a mess from the excess fluid that gets pushed out of the reservoir.

I also use a white tie wrap as a dip stick but I never fill above the 3/4 point unless I have just installed new pads.

Yes, I agree, however when I install new pads, (cars or planes) I always remove the cap and either remove some fluid or allow it to be pushed overboard into a rag wrapped around the master. Maybe it’s just me, but I often find the brake fluid low in airplanes, I swear it must evaporate!

Back