-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:03 PM

Mine showed up today too, from the Atlanta FSDO. I was all happy.
Then I noticed this:

FSDO Manager Signature FSDO Date

Right above, where it says "FSDO Manager Signature"?
There's no signature??
There "is" above the word "FSDO",----- "ATL FSDO"---- Maybe that suffices as the signature?? (I tried to copy and paste so all could see it exactly, but you know how some stuff just doesn't copy and paste??)

Last edited by donaziza : 07-14-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
Mine showed up today too, from the Atlanta FSDO. I was all happy.
Then I noticed this:

FSDO Manager Signature FSDO Date

Right above, where it says "FSDO Manager Signature"?
There's no signature??
There "is" above the word "FSDO",----- "ATL FSDO"---- Maybe that suffices as the signature?? (I tried to copy and paste so all could see it exactly, but you know how some stuff just doesn't copy and paste??)
Mine looks like the attached image. It has an electronic signature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A6C66B8-5E94-40DE-B9FB-0F426FE0DCE3.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	13652  
AFP Fuel Injection & Dual SDS CPI-2 ignition
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2021 Dues Paid
Old 07-14-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Yeah, that's the name of the guy who sent me mine. Maybe he just forgot. I'll call him tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Hey Dave, My BFR is due next month, August. I just found out, the guy who was giving them to me retired. You got any names of who you use??

Don
Old 07-15-2021, 06:24 AM

Tossing another one into the thread. Just received my LODA this morning, sent application email in mid-day last Saturday. Cincinnati FSDO.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:30 AM

Default How about Tampa FSDO??

Has anyone in the Tampa Bay area received a LODA from the Tampa FSDO yet??
RV-14A Under construction
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 07-15-2021, 06:53 AM

Inline responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
Just to add one more data point to this thread, I was denied my LODAs today. I submitted with the information asking for a LODA to take transition training in someone else's airplane and was told they should already have a LODA under the old rules and that I don't need one.

This is correct. The LODA being referenced here is for you to have paid for instruction in your own plane.

I also applied for a LODA for my still under construction airplane and was told to apply after I got my airworthiness cert. Waiting to hear back if they will issue a LODA in conjunction with an airworthiness cert so phase 1 isn't delayed if you're paying someone to ride right seat with the additional pilot program.

Phase I testing is not instruction. If you are looking to get instruction by an addtl pilot during phase I, don't expect a LODA, as the FAA is pretty clear that the AP program is for airframe testing and NOT flight instruction. IF you are just paying the AP to help test, the LODA also doesn't apply, as phase I testing is not instructing. Not saying whether that is legal or not, only that this LODA is not applicable.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:56 AM

Default Tampa FSDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlrai View Post
Has anyone in the Tampa Bay area received a LODA from the Tampa FSDO yet??
Got mine from Tampa FSDO July 13, sent the email in July 9. Much faster turnaround than I expected. Very happy about that!
2022 VAF dues paid
Old 07-15-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Inline responses

Just to add one more data point to this thread, I was denied my LODAs today. I submitted with the information asking for a LODA to take transition training in someone else's airplane and was told they should already have a LODA under the old rules and that I don't need one.

This is correct. The LODA being referenced here is for you to have paid for instruction in your own plane.

I also applied for a LODA for my still under construction airplane and was told to apply after I got my airworthiness cert. Waiting to hear back if they will issue a LODA in conjunction with an airworthiness cert so phase 1 isn't delayed if you're paying someone to ride right seat with the additional pilot program.

Phase I testing is not instruction. If you are looking to get instruction by an addtl pilot during phase I, don't expect a LODA, as the FAA is pretty clear that the AP program is for airframe testing and NOT flight instruction. IF you are just paying the AP to help test, the LODA also doesn't apply, as phase I testing is not instructing. Not saying whether that is legal or not, only that this LODA is not applicable.
I can understand not having the LODA for instruction in someone else's plane, that was clarified in the EAA article and the wording reads correctly in the FAA official release. So I can agree with that decision.

There's specific wording in the EAA article and the FAA official guidance that raises questions about phase 1 though.

"A person may be considered to “operate” an aircraft under the  1.1 definition without serving as a required flightcrew member or manipulating the controls of the aircraft."

Right now a checkride in an experimental requires a LODA. I'm paying someone to sit in the right seat and watch me fly. He only "operates" the airplane if I mess something up pretty bad, but per the regulations he is "operating" the airplane and receiving compensation. It counts as training because it doubles as a BFR. In phase 1 I'll pay someone to sit in the right seat and watch me fly, he'll only touch the controls if I mess something up pretty bad. So in phase 1, there is a paid pilot with a commercial license getting compensated to "operate" an experimental airplane from the right seat. Seems like it fits all the requirements for a new LODA but now it isn't required even though the other pilot would be in violation of 91.319 "No person may operate an experimental aircraft carrying person or property for compensation or hire" if I don't get a LODA.

Last edited by agent4573 : 07-15-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Right now a checkride in an experimental requires a LODA..
Pretty sure this is not the case. This week I have been arranging a checkride for my son. One of the DPE's thought this new LODA may be required (I didn't) and checked with the FAA. He confirmed that a LODA is NOT required for a checkride. This makes sense, as there is no instucting during a checkride. It is an evaluation. The DPE is not operating as a CFI, they are operating as a delegate of the FAA to evaluate performance against standards.

Last edited by lr172 : 07-15-2021 at 09:27 AM.