What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Traffic

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello everyone

I just installed a Taibeacon-X in my -4 and as I'm new to this I was wondering what traffic should I see on my 796 ?

I know that I should see all ADS-B traffic around me ( which I do) but should I also see the other ''Transponder equipped Mode-C traffic??

I was flying a loose formation with a friend the other day and he ( he's ADS-B IN equipped ) could see me ( it means my ADS-B OUT is working I guess ) but I could not see him...

Is this normal or is there something not up to speed with my installation??

( If you have seen my previous post of my Tailbeacon-X installation in the wingtip of my -4, I will be replacing the aluminum bracket with a fiberglass bracket as it may have shielded the antenna on a couple occasions as reported by ATC..)

Your imputs will be appreciated

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

I know that I should see all ADS-B traffic around me ( which I do) but should I also see the other ''Transponder equipped Mode-C traffic??

Unfortunately, no. Seems all development on affordable MLAT traffic systems has stopped - we're all waiting for everyone to just buy ADS-B.

Here's a prediction - someone will come up with a traffic system that uses cameras which will be more helpful and more accurate than even ADS-B. I'd do it, but I'm too dumb, too old, and too lazy!

To see transponder only traffic, here in the US:
You communicate with adsb ground station. ATC radar sees other aircraft, sends info to ground stations. Ground station sends it up to you. Since you’re in Canada I don’t think you have ground stations, and I have no idea if the faa radar sends out info on aircraft over the border.

In Canada you will only see mode c traffic if you are close enough to a us based ground station. In most of Canada you will see only other adsb. Out equipped traffic. Air to air. No weather here either unless close to a us station. I am installing a tail beacon in my rans s21. I use a trig tt22 for adsb outin my rv

Will a Garmin 796 see anything from a non-Garmin

ADS-B "IN" unit? I don't think so?

Ron

ADS-B TRAFFIC

Ron

''ADS-B "IN" unit? I don't think so?''

I should have been more clear I guess by stating that my friend see me on his 796 via a GDL-39-3D ADS-B IN device...:eek:

Bruno

Well I was hoping to see all traffic by installing an ADS-B OUT DEVICE but I guess I'll have to rely on my thrusty Monroy ATD-300 and my eagle eyes ;) to fill the gap.

Thank you all gentlemen for the info, it's appreciated.

Bruno

In Canada you will only see mode c traffic if you are close enough to a us based ground station. In most of Canada you will see only other adsb. Out equipped traffic. Air to air.
You will also see Mode S transponders.

ADS-B OUT TRAFFIC

Hi Rob

''You will also see Mode S transponders.''

Those must be the one I see without the Ident been displayed?

Thanks

Bruno

Back