What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Bulletin 18-09-17

AusFlyingBear

Hello fellow RVérs,

Finding time to build is a premium lately so I'm going slow.

Working the rear fuselage and needing to install the parts in SB-18-09-17.( my emp kit was shipped prior to the SB issue).

I do not have the kit from Vans as trying to get anything to New Zealand from anywhere in the world at the moment is at least a 6 month wait even via air.

I've worked out that the part No. F-14148A Skin Doubler is made from 0.063" sheet. Problem is that I don't have any 0.063" sheet but I do have 0.032" sheet.

My question is "Can I just manufacture 2 pieces from 0.032" sheet and rivet them together to form the thickness of the intended piece." The SB calls for the holes to be machine countersunk but if I'm using thinner material, I'll just dimple both pieces.

Will this do the same job as the original F-14148A Skin Doubler?

Is there anything I should be wary of doing it this way?

Thanks

Ian

Ian,
There are a lot of experienced builders on here who offer good advice when things aren’t going to plan. In this case however, being an SB, I would talk directly to Van’s. I would also print the email chain, if they approve it, and file it with your completed SB’s.

Ian,
How did you make out with Vans? I just noticed that W-00026 jig is the same thickness as the gusset plate for the SB. I haven’t installed my SB yet so I checked the gusset, there’s enough material to cut it out of the W-00026. That jig is no longer used in rigging ailerons BUT I don’t know it it’s needed later in the build. (Page 23-10 rev 2 12/03/20) If it is, you could order another or simply duplicate it before cutting it up.
Todd

Ian,
That jig is no longer used in rigging ailerons BUT I don’t know it it’s needed later in the build. (Page 23-10 rev 2 12/03/20) If it is, you could order another or simply duplicate it before cutting it up.
Todd

You do use that W-00026 in the fuse section on page 35-15 to assist in making the canopy release mechanism…..

You do use that W-00026 in the fuse section on page 35-15 to assist in making the canopy release mechanism…..
Thanks Scott. I guess I'll be ordering a new one. After reading another post on VAF I found mine is the older version. I find it very frustrating that Vans does not give these revised parts a new part number. Like the elevator trim linkage. Two different parts with the same part number. "W-00026-Rev 1". A very simple solution which could save a lot of grief.

Hello RV14 Builders,
I have a RV14 (140268) that I purchased 17 months ago that I’ve been “finishing” since my stewardship began. This kit shipped before 9/26/2018 so SB 18-09-17 is applicable to my aircraft. My flying RV14 with 150tt has no cracks in the area identified in this SB. I’ve purchased the SB Kit and am planning it’s installation but I have questions.
I’ve done some research and my research seems to suggest that kits shipped after 9/26/2018 had Stiffener Clips F-14147-L & -R only w/o F-14148B&C Stfffener Doublers and w/o the F-14148A Skin Doubler?
IF this is true and since my plane has no cracks I’m thinking that I might install the Stiffener Clips F-14147-L &-R and not the other pieces in the stiffener kit.
Thanks in advance to those willing to offer their experience.
T

Back