What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Order to Empennage Crating time

steve997

Hi,
Those of you that have received the empennage kit recently or have crating dates.. can you let me know what day/month you ordered please.

My order was in late May and my dates are now mid January for crating.

This is just brutal :( Selling my 182 this week and looking down the barrel of a long wait till I have my own plane to fly again.

Welcome to the world of checking https://vansaircraft.com/kitstatus/ and hoping something changes.

I Ordered my emp before all this started and got it in a month. QB Wings and fuselage looking more like 18 months.

I am taking a bunch of time off between now and end of the year so should have emp done end of December. Then I will have to just wait and do research and ordering other parts (avionics, engine, interior...)

Emp order

Ordered empennage mid Aug — no date listed yet
Ordered QB wings 9/21 current forecast as Nov 2022 - Jan 2023

I ordered on 7/13/22. My EMP ship is 1/3-14 and the rest is saying Sept-Dec 22.

Attachments

• 20FEB796-9B19-4D5F-84D7-14BAF163DA1F.jpg
    20FEB796-9B19-4D5F-84D7-14BAF163DA1F.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 281
I ordered in November and it isn't even on the kit status page yet. I ordered QB wings and I am going to go ahead and order everything else next month, just to get it all moving. I am trying so hard to be patient.

Making progress

Looks like Van's is making progress with updating the order page. After dealing with a couple other kit manufacturers, I think Van's has the best customer experience I have seen.

I remember when the wait for an rv12 empenage was two weeks- I know that Van's wants to get back to those times as badly as we do.

Not to be a Van's cheerleader, but am thankful that we have such a great option to certified airplanes.

QB Wings RV-10

I ordered my wings July 2020 and the estimated time to crate is Mar - July 2022. Also shows my fuselage (QB) complete but still no motor mounts and landing gear. It's a great kit and having a 14 to fly now certainly takes the sting away.

Van's is watching and responding. After I posted that mine was not listed on the order page, I got an email helping me to get on the page. Turns out I was entering the wrong info (zip code rather than email). Anyway, while they may be delayed, that is still some of the most responsive customer service I have ever had.

Keep us in the loop

Actually my status says 1/3-14 for crating, we’ll see what actual shipping looks like. Anyone have an idea of the crating to shipping times right now?

JK, could you please report back if there are any changes to your expected crating date.

Many thanks...

Re-purpose

Once you get your parts, and you are done with those crates, don’t just throw them to the burn pile, like I was gonna. My wife told me I should build a bookshelf for her. So I did.
You could even build a shelf for all your airplane parts.
73EADC8E-5A3D-4130-9C92-4B08C73C7555.jpg

I submitted my order for a -14A emp on July 3rd and paid my deposit on July 12 when it was a 4 month lead time to crating. I don't know when it went to crating, but it was available for will-call pickup on December 15th. So their original estimate was probably no more than a few weeks too conservative.

I submitted my order for a -14A emp on July 3rd and paid my deposit on July 12 when it was a 4 month lead time to crating. I don't know when it went to crating, but it was available for will-call pickup on December 15th. So their original estimate was probably no more than a few weeks too conservative.

I sent in an order for a -14A tail kit and paid the deposit on May 11. After sending in the liability waiver (this is my first kit order), the order was acknowledged and an order number and builder number were assigned to me on May 18. At the time the lead time was still listed as 4 months.

As of today my crating date is Jan 24 2022 - Feb 7 2022 on the order status page. It's a bit surprising that you ordered two months after I did and you already have your kit. I understand the factors that Van's has been dealing with and I'm perfectly fine with the additional delay. That said, I assumed that same-kit orders would have been crated in the order they were received...

Back