What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pictures for installing landing, position and strobe lights needed Pls

osaleh

hi

anyone has pictures for when installing landing lights, strobe and position lights during their build? any pictures will be great. I recieved the landing light kit from VANs. the istructions are good but i need to see some actual build pictures to be sure. Also, it seems all the work that is required to be done is on the wing tip only. Did i understand this correctly? No drilling in ribs required. Well except for wires and conduits.

Thx
Omar.

Wingtip Light Kit

I don't have any pictures, but if you bought the wingtip light kit, you are correct that no wing modifications are required. It's all done within the fiberglass wingtip. It's really pretty straightforward...the only tricky part is getting those spacers filed down to the correct angle.

With the 2 light wingtip landing light kit that Vans sells, is there enough space left to add your own position LED lights and a strobe inside the wingtip ?

Depending on the nav strobe lights

With the 2 light wingtip landing light kit that Vans sells, is there enough space left to add your own position LED lights and a strobe inside the wingtip ?

If you purchase a nav / strobe combination that is designed to face outward it can work. Vans used to sell a nav / strobe combination designed to face outward. I just searched the catalog and can't find it. I do not know how much it will interfere with the light beam of landing lights. Whelen shows a set in thier 2011 catalog; part numbers

A650 PG/PR Series Strobe Anti-Collision/Halogen Position Light Assy
or
71110 Series Strobe Anti-Collision/LED Position Light Assembly

I did not look up the price, but they do have a small picture in the catalog of one mounted in a wing tip so you can see how it might affect your landing lights.

I purchased the two light system, but am not using it because of the LED nav lights I purchased from Killacycle. They are not designed to face outward, rather designed to face forward on the wingtip. There is space for a single landling light not two, so I am going with the Duckworth wingtip lights

Hope that helps answer your question.

It does thanks. Maybe if someone has a picture, what 2 landing lights inside the wingtips look like, that would help too. I am planing on putting in my own small strobe and LED`s, so I can mount those facing sideways. But like you said it might interfere with some of the beam.
Are people able to get the beam enough towards the center without the front part of the fiberglass cutting it of on the inside of the wingtip.

wingtip external install

Omar - need more info on what style you are using to know if this will help you, but I installed the nav/strobe "all-in-one" wingtip style lights with Duckworth style landing/taxi lights in wing leading edges and have pictures posted at links below.

nav/strobe light installation:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/finishingStages/wingtips/WingtipsPg2.htm

wingtip installation with view of Duckworth lights:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/finishingStages/wingtips/WingtipsPg1.htm

1WingTips008.JPG

2WingTips009.JPG

3rightWingTip001.JPG

6WingTips013.JPG

N731CK-PaintJob(webSize)-11.JPG

Back