What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap too big between f-702 and f-771

osaleh

Hi all,

Working on my tip-up RV7A. When i was working on the f-702 skin and f-771, i had an acceptable 0.032 gap as suggested in instructions. However, after i continued working on the canopy frame, and am getting ready to start work on canopy itself, i find the gap has increased to 3/32 on the top portion. No idead how. On the sides it is less than 1/32. I tried to close the gap but it is not working. A lot has been drilled and clecoed/riveted to allow any movement in skin. Should i just leave it alone? if for aesthetic reasons i can live with that but what i do not know if this will affect canopy install or not. Any suggestions?

Thank you

iw7iaa.jpg

You might need this gap to be a bit bigger so when the canopy opens so it doesn't snag on the forward skin and thus bend the canopy skin. I had to increase my gap from recommended to get to a safe place to avoid that issue. Also, when you install the struts, they put a forward pressure when closed that changes things. 3/32" gap seems fine to me.

Last edited:
What James said. Closing that gap up is a guaranteed mess when you open the canopy and the skins catch on each other....

It happened to me and I was watching for it and being very careful and had what I thought was an acceptable gap.

As you have noticed, this stuff moves around until you get it all riveted. A hair to close and BAM you have a mess that is a pain to fix!

Good Advice already - -

+2 You have a long way to go before that gap is finalized. Especially if the canopy frame is not completed.

Don't make this mistake

As other have said that gap is necessary.
I had a gap, and despite this is what happened the other day:

I opened the canopy from the rear, not looking at the front and the result is I have to order a new skin.
I'm lucky the tip up skin didn't get any damage...
So be careful and make sure you have the gap large enough.
Alain.

Back