What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Facet Electric Pump install problems

osaleh

Hi,

I am having problems installing the plumbing to the Facet electric fuel pump from VANs and am trying to see how people have solved this issue. Unfortunately most of the threads i read are about high pressure fuel pumps for IO engines. I am installing a O- engine. There is not enough space at the bottom where we are to connect the fuel line to the inlet of the fuel pump. I also read that it is a good idea to install a fuel filter, VANs does not show that. So any tips or pictures would help.

Thank you all.

It works

I did not install a fuel filter.
If you put the bend on the very end of the inlet line, it will work. It's been eight years, I remember it being a little bit of a challenge, but it works. I don't have a picture handy.

I bought a 90 degree AN adapter and put that on the inlet side of the pump. Made connecting the fuel line a breeze.

Chris

It is possible to bend the fuel line and get it in but it's a tight bend and close fit, a good option is the 90 deg adapter as Chris indicated above.

I strongly recommend you install a pre-filter for the facet pump, it's inlet is very small which makes it vulnerable to inlet blockage.

Here's an old filter thread that was just resurected which gives some options:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=84708

Hi,

I am having problems installing the plumbing to the Facet electric fuel pump from VANs and am trying to see how people have solved this issue. Unfortunately most of the threads i read are about high pressure fuel pumps for IO engines. I am installing a O- engine. There is not enough space at the bottom where we are to connect the fuel line to the inlet of the fuel pump.

Thank you all.

You could use one of these:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ha/fit_zaeroquip/aeroquipfitting.php
(as mentioned above, I was a little late on the draw)

Last edited:
Facet Electric Fuel Pump Install Problems

I bought a 90 degree AN adapter and put that on the inlet side of the pump. Made connecting the fuel line a breeze.

Chris

Do i remove the steel nipple that is on the inlet side of the pump and add the 90 degree nipple instead ? I bought this from VANs and it has steel nipples on both inlet and outlet.

Thx

Do i remove the steel nipple that is on the inlet side of the pump and add the 90 degree nipple instead ? I bought this from VANs and it has steel nipples on both inlet and outlet.

Thx

Negative. The pump from Vans has a 37-degree flare fitting on both ends. Buy the elbow that Sam (TX7A) linked above. That goes on the flared fitting on the output side of the pump.

Changing to the pump model Gasman suggests & using a 90 degree fitting is a great idea, would make it so much easier.
But if you do decide to tough it out & bend the 3/8 line, make sure the final bends clear all fuselage structure without touching. One plane I did an annual on had the bend resting on the floor & when I removed it for inspection was able to poke a ball point pen thru the side of the line!

i found these fuel filters. Any idea if the will work or not?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...tspruce.com/pages/ep/fuelfilters/micron10.php

The facet fuel pump is a low pressure fuel pump and i am just wondering if these filters will work at all.

Thx.

The fuel pump comes with instructions about the size filter. If I recall, it is 40 microns...... This filter from JEGS will do just fine.

Mel's filters and the inlet bend.

Mel has the best idea for fuel filters that I know I read about here somewhere. In fact I hope I copied his design although I've never seen his.:D I have EARL'S inline racing fuel filters on each tank installed between the main fuel selector and a small ball valve installed just inside the cockpit off the tanks. Cleaning / checking the filters just requires shutting off the fuel selector and ball valve to isolate the filter. The filters have an -6 AN connections which make them a breeze to install and service. I just ran my outlet line from the pump to a steel fitting thru my firewall today and know it is possible to connect to the inlet of the pump just using a 90 degree bend as close to the end of the line as possible. I actually have room to spare. The hardest part of the job is trying to climb in there to do it. :eek: I picked up the filters and ball valves from Summit racing.
Not cheap but they make for a very nice solid fuel system. The filters I used were Earls # 230106ERL

Facet recommends a 74 micron pre-filter to protect the pump, using a finer filter sounds good on the surface but more is not always better.

A very fine filter on the suction side of the fuel system will produce a pressure drop which is not a good thing (vapor lock).

If you feel like you have to use a super fine filter then it should be on the pressure side of the system.

If you don't believe me ask Don at Airflow performance who knows more about fuel systems than probably anyone on this forum (their system uses a 125 micron pre-filter which has been the standard RV FI filter since the beginning).

I personally went with a high capacity 74 micron pre-filter but would never go any finer, I was also very careful when I installed it and did quite a bit of ground/flight testing to ensure it would not cause a problem (I am also using a high capacity weldon fuel pump). Any filter that does not list flow rates, pressure drops and surface area should be disqualified.

Fuel system design changes have caused quite a few mishaps over the years, proceed at your own risk :eek:

Last edited:
Facet recommends a 74 micron pre-filter to protect the pump, using a finer filter sounds good on the surface but more is not always better.

A very fine filter on the suction side of the fuel system will produce a pressure drop which is not a good thing (vapor lock).

If you feel like you have to use a super fine filter then it should be on the pressure side of the system.

If you don't believe me ask Don at Airflow performance who knows more about fuel systems than probably anyone on this forum (their system uses a 125 micron pre-filter which has been the standard RV FI filter since the beginning).

I personally went with a high capacity 74 micron pre-filter but would never go any finer, I was also very careful when I installed it and did quite a bit of ground/flight testing to ensure it would not cause a problem (I am also using a high capacity weldon fuel pump). Any filter that does not list flow rates, pressure drops and surface area should be disqualified.

Fuel system design changes have caused quite a few mishaps over the years, proceed at your own risk :eek:

Thanks Walt
Guess I'll have to go with a 85 micron. That's the closest they have.

i see your point. i asked that or eluded to that in my previous questioning. I was worried the fine filter will drop pressure to an already low pressure pump. I think i will use this pre-filter which is 85u

http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/230206/10002/-1

thx.

What's the flow rate, filter material and filter area of the one listed above?

How does it compare to something like this or the AFP filter?
http://flowezyfilters.freestarter.com/?mainURL=%2Fstore%2Fitem%2F395gf%2FPerformance_Filters%2FSeries_3000_-_Performance_Racing_Filter_Complete_Unit.html%3Fitem_id%3D395gf

Custom built fuel tanks

I just received my custom fuel tanks from Griggs Aircraft in Tunkhannock Pa. They are perfect in every aspect, and reasonably priced. I am putting them in my T-51.

Fuel pump plumbing

I too elected for no filter and as stated in a previous thread, it's a tight bend but doable.

Back