What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing kit

osaleh

Hi, I am about to order the finishing kit for my RV7A. Any advice on what I should skip and order somewhere else? Or any general advice ? Much appreciated.

Thx
Omar

Well, I went with the SJ cowl, not much more in cost, but the FG work is way better than the pink, and I have heard as much as 10 MPH on a thread here.

Engine & Prop?

What engine and what prop do you have or plan to use? One thing to keep in mind when deleting items,your credit is less then your cost if you change your mind you'll pay a higher price + shipping. You can always resell what you don't use here. With the big crate you can add items that would be tough to ship otherwise, I bought extra ruder skins as these are like tissue paper for shippers to blow there nose on if packed in cardboard. I've lost 15% to shipping damage through out the project.
The seven is rear CG biased for a constant speed and angel valve engine if your building with a fixed pitch 0-360, wood prop,you should consider the 2" longer mount to help with CG issues and baggage capacity.This is a unsupported configuration and Vans will try to talk you out of it.Any time you deviate from the plans you add time&expense to the build.
All of the above is IMHO.
R.Hill

Get the List

I called Vans and they emailed me the packing list of the FWF for my IO-360 configuration. I then used "the list" on Vans website to breakdown each part and bag to see what they were. From there I chose what to delete. You will want to think carefully (as usual) about what you want for baffles, oil cooler, cube location, air box (stainless ?), and other systems and sub systems. There are included drawings and instructions mixed with the subkits too. If you are going very standard, then it makes things a lot easier.

If you use the Plane Power alternator, be sure to hand fit the bolts that screw into the engine. Mine had thread inference due to inadequate washers. I called PP about it. I only needed an additional .063 washer to make it right.

After looking at the packing list, you might direct more specific questions to the group here.

What avionics do you have? Specifically manifold pressure. On mine, the tap is to the rear cylinder on the R/S. But the G3X sensor is mounted to the sensor manifold on the left. The FWF kit comes with a sub-kit but it uses different hardware penetrating the R/S FW. I will be using a custom hose for that connection.

Happy planning!

Cowl, wheels, tires, tubes, brakes.

These are the decision items in the finishing kit.

Since you are building a 7A, please ignore the comment about rear CG on 7s.
It is true for light engine/prop taildraggers but not for tri-gear.

If you are building the fairly standard 180 hp CS version, it tends to be nose heavy so I would not recommend an engine mount change away for what Vans supplies once they know what engine you plan to use.

I went stock except for nose wheel (Grove). You have other options now that I did not.

Last edited:
More info

Thanks for all suggestions. I am going to get IO360 fixed pitch. Dinon avionics but other than that, I did not plan anything else.

Back