What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gear leg attachment wd-721 help

osaleh

i am riveting the side skins in my RV7a and decided to try to fit the WD-721 while i still have access. I ended up making a cutout in the 704 bulkhead to fit the WD-721 leg. Now, the top part of the WD-721 sits flush with the F-704 however, the bottom part is not sitting flush. I tried looking everywhere for obstructions but everything seems to be clear and fits right. So my question is, does WD-721 have to sit flush with F-704 the whole piece? I added pictures

You might need to relieve some of the powder coating on the weldment that are recessed areas that sit over the rivet heads on the center bulkhead. I had to hit a bunch of these recessed areas with a small file to get it to sit flush on the center bulkhead.
There is one bolt on the lower edges of of the weldment that needs a washer under the weldment to fill the gap.
The bottom skin stiffeners also have a tendency to interfere and need to be trimmed back just a bit from the center bulkhead. The nutplates on the F-704 spar flange also can get in the way of the weldment being put into place easily.

The gear weldment sits flush against the F-904C (RV-9A part number versus 7A) that is riveted to the F-904A center section forward bulkhead. This gives the appearance that there is a gap between the center section web and the gear weldment.

In your photo, look through the hole in the weldment that is meant for the snap bushing for wiring (bigger hole at top edge in the photo) and you will see the edge of the .063 F-904C sandwiched between the bulkhead web and the weldment.

Here are a couple of my photos for comparison:

Note the gap between the center bulkhead web and the weldment at the snap bushing but the weldment is flush against the F-904C-R as is visible at the rivet shop heads:
DSC_0016.JPG

Top of the weldment flush with the F-904C-R bulkhead part:
DSC_0017.JPG

Hope I am addressing what you are asking.

Back