What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

die to make upward bend in end of stiffeners

osaleh

hi everyone

anyone knows if there a die set or a method to make the upward bend on stiffeners like the F-719 firewall stiffener? When I make mistakes on straight stiffeners, i just go to home depot or lowes, get new angles and trim. The bent stiffeners like the F-719 I have to order then wait, and wait, and wait.

hi everyone

anyone knows if there a die set or a method to make the upward bend on stiffeners like the F-719 firewall stiffener? When I make mistakes on straight stiffeners, i just go to home depot or lowes, get new angles and trim. The bent stiffeners like the F-719 I have to order then wait, and wait, and wait.

If you buy angle stock from a big box store make sure it isn't just architectural grade angle. The stuff we use has a generous radius in the inside of the bend to reduce the probability of stress fractures. I like to use either 6061 or 2024 stock for any structural pieces like on the firewall.

hmmm.

I thought an AL angle is all the same as long as it is of same thickness. I guess not. Ok I will make sure I look for same grade angle. I am still looking for a die though. So if anyone of you great guys make this, I and many others will buy. :)

Whoa!

Any aluminum angle you bout at a big box store is of completely unknown and untraceable pedigree and needs to come off your plane immediately. There are usually no markings for alloy and temper, and there certainly is no inside radius in the corner. The sharp inside corner is a fatigue concern.

Your firewall structure holds the engine on the plane. You do not want it coming off.:eek:

Listen to

Osaleh,
Listen hard to Kurt and Sam, your life depends on it. You cannot find aircraft grade aluminum, 2024 or any of the other grades, by looking around. Even if you find some aluminum angle with a radius on the inside, it will not necessarily be aircraft grade, and still could fail from fatigue in the extreme environment of the airplane, particularly at the firewall. Take the extra time to wait for the correct part. If the firewall fails, you will be buried for a much longer time.

Last edited:
Forget your local big box

I'm sure you have a metal supply shop somewhere nearby. Check for the proper alloy and temper then purchase from them. I doubt you will find much 2024 alloy but 6061 angle is not uncommon at the local metal shops.
I do agree however that critical structure should only be done with materials you can trace back!

Advice taken.

Thank you guys. I did take your advice and took off all the angles i bought from Lowes. I just forgot to report back in time.

Osaleh,
Listen hard to Kurt and Sam, your life depends on it. You cannot find aircraft grade aluminum, 2024 or any of the other grades, by looking around. Even if you find some aluminum angle with a radius on the inside, it will not necessarily be aircraft grade, and still could fail from fatigue in the extreme environment of the airplane, particularly at the firewall. Take the extra time to wait for the correct part. If the firewall fails, you will be buried for a much longer time.

Good deal, Omar. It stinks playing the waiting game, but in the end it's worth it. Reading ahead in the plans will often reveal other things you could work on while you're waiting. Waiting for a delivery is the reason lots of folks like to have a couple different items in work at any one time.

Thank you guys. I did take your advice and took off all the angles i bought from Lowes. I just forgot to report back in time.

In the event you can't find a metal supply store with the correct temper and cross-section, Aircraft Spruce has a pretty good selection of angles, and they ship same day if ordered before 3:00 Pacific time.

If you're fabbing a part to replace one, make sure you check the alloy and temper against the original parts list which came with your builder's manual from Van's.

I notice there was no answer to your original question, though...and I thought the same thing when I worked on those parts: how *are* those things bent on the ends?

In the event you can't find a metal supply store with the correct temper and cross-section, Aircraft Spruce has a pretty good selection of angles, and they ship same day if ordered before 3:00 Pacific time.

If you're fabbing a part to replace one, make sure you check the alloy and temper against the original parts list which came with your builder's manual from Van's.

I notice there was no answer to your original question, though...and I thought the same thing when I worked on those parts: how *are* those things bent on the ends?

It can be built without the joggle. Use the same method as the RV-6 -

RV-firewall-floor-stiffeners.jpg

Back