What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank contaminates Concern

osaleh

Hi,

I am working on the fuselage now, however, i keep getting this bad feeling about the fuel tanks i assembled. I bought the fuel tank senders from Vans, the ones that have the wire mesh glued with pro-seal. however, i am worried about little chunks of pro-seal breaking off and clogging this mesh or worse, getting sucked into the fuel system and engine. Any suggestions on how to cleanup the fuel tanks and make sure I get rid of all the small contaminates?

thx

I think you are talking about the fuel tank outlet fitting/screen. At any rate you will have one filter before pump and ff transducer then one as fuel enters fuel servo. If you cleaned up before baffle installation, then you should have very little contamination. Do a fuel flow test with fuel line at servo inlet disconnected. My baseline ff was 42 gph. I will know in the future if I have a restriction. My engine requires about 26 gph at takeoff, so plenty of margin.

Simple. If it's a concern, fill the tanks with fuel, run it out via the quick drain (remove the quick drain) into a bunch of gas cans. Strain it back into the tank. Repeat.

?Any suggestions on how to clean up the fuel tanks and make sure I get rid of all the small contaminates??

I used water. I had a very small leak that I could not find with air and soap bubbles so; I filled my tanks with water. It was around the fuel outlet line so, easy fix. Drained most of the water out and me and a buddy shook the tanks vigorously before we finished draining it out via the fill neck and the quick drain hole. I keep air circulating in the tanks for about a week to make sure they were dry before mounting on the wings.

I'm with Bob Collins on this.
Slosh the tanks with a couple of gallons of gas and drain as many times as it takes to get the fuel coming out clean. Tanks not mounted. Did the "dance" with them in my arms. My memory says it took about 5 rinses on each tank before I was happy. There is a picture of the tank cr@p that came out on my web page.

Keep moving through the fuel system one step at a time. My next step was to pump fuel from the tank through the electric boost pump into a gas can. One tank at a time. Measured the flow at the same time on the AFP pump (which is an astounding 60 gph when freely pumping).

Next step was wing tank -> AFP Pump -> mechanical pump -> gas can.

The last flow and cleaning test was configured as wing tank -> AFP -> mech pump -> injection servo -> gas can. (with no airflow, the servo will only pass about 4 gph)

OK, here is the very last and most important step. Disassemble all filters and clean them. AFP, Servo and any others you have installed.

Reconnect and do your engine start test. Enjoy it :D

Even with all that, I kept seeing some very minute particles occasionally in tank sump samples in early phase 1 flying. They cleared up and have not returned.

Back