What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon pitot/AOA question

osaleh

hi everyone,

i am installing the dynon heated pitot/aoa in my rv7a. Just 1 question, what screw size do we use to attach the mounting bracket to the pitot tube? #6 or #8? the gretz install instruction specifies to install the screws that came with pitot tube. i either did not get these or lost them when i opened the package. also do we use AN515 screws, round head or the countersunk AN509???

thank you.
omar

The answer is in the instructions from Dynon

The Dynon tube doesn't come with screws. It doesn't even come with screw holes. You have to drill and tap them yourself. The installation instructions from Dynon recommend #6-32. This document also has other guidance and cautionary notes, so I highly recommend reading it thoroughly before you start drilling.

I also used #6 screws but had to shorten them up as they were a little long and I did not want them to hit the actual tubing inside which are in that semi-hard silicon material
I then shaped the heads and numbered the screws so to match the contour of the blue aluminum tube
Smilin Jack

Last edited:
Here is what mine looks like.
837825414_rAkmY-M-1.jpg

Drilled 4 holes, tapped them and used button head screws. Countersinking would be difficult on the rounded surface of the mount. Not to say that it isn't possible to mount the pitot with flush screws, but I chose not to.

8-32

unfortunately i screwed up the tap and ended up with a #8 screw that i have to use. i also shortened the head screws because i only had the 8-32 1/2. i hope this will work. thanks for all your replies.

screws for Dynon Pitot/AOA

Used #6-32 stainless countersunk screws and they worked out well. Had to cut them as well so they would not damage tubes. Take care when drilling.

I assume folks are machine countersinking when using countersunk screws? I imagine the mast wall is too thick to dimple. Plus, dimpling on the curved surface could have undesirable results.

Thanks,
Russ

Hello,

could you please tell me the order number of the gretz pitot bracket for the dynon pitot tube?

Is the PBK-12 or the PBK-ND (non-drilled) the right one?

Many thanks...
cb

Interestingly, if you want to duplicate the mounting of the AN5812 pitot tube you should use fine thread 6-40 screws.

You could also copy the mounting hole locations from the certified part. They make a good recommended starting point.

http://spaceagecontrol.com/AN5812.pdf

Back