What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine/Prop/Acrobatics

osaleh

I am trying to make decision on what engine and propellor to choose for my RV7A. I intend to have an lycoming or Superior 0360 with a FP 3 blade rotax prop from Sensenich or something similar from Catto (cheaper). I also do not have inverted oil system or inverted fuel pick up system. Just the regular stuff. How will this affect me if i need to do basic acrobatics, nothing sustained. I am hearing that i cannot do that with an Carb based system, or inverted fuel pickup, etc... So i am here at the experts forum to get the truth :) Also cost is a factor and that is why I am not going with IO, or CS. so do not start there. I want to keep the plane afforable and not go into debt.

Omar.

If you are doing aerobatics with positive g only you will not need inverted fuel and oil. If you plan zero or negative g maneuvers you will need both as well as fuel injection. Carbs do not like zero and negative g. Loops, rolls, etc are all okay with carb and no inverted fuel/oil.

You can have more than enough fun with a Carbed O-360 and no inverted systems - that's what I've had on the Valkyrie for almost 1500 hours,and I have enjoyed hours of loops, rolls, and combinations there-of. If you do go zero or negative, you'll just spill some oil.

Paul

how about the Prop

thanks for the info. how about the Catto three blade composite prop. Anyone who has it can tell me if it is any good for the RV7a? does it last a while? is it fine in rain or cold or hot weather?

Lots of RV's are running Catto 3 Blade Props, Craig now has a nickle leading edge that helps with the rain. Do a search you will find more than you imagine.

-david

Back