What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bellcrank Attach Hole Oversize

osaleh

hI

Too many drilling errors with Tie down that spilled now to the Bellcrank assembly. The four holes that attach the bellcrank to main spar are now deformed because of many repeat drills and errors on Tie Down assembly. I am attaching image. Now, when i attach the bellcrank, it does not move and seems to be secure. However, is it better to go to enlarge the hole and go to AN4? i will have to drill same size into bellcrank ofcourse. WHat do you guys think?

doaxrb.jpg

Thx.

not an easy one

Asuming we are looking at holes in your spar, Id call Vans before proceeding. Looks to me like this would take a much bigger hole to clean it up..:confused:

Hi Omar, you have a problem there that is best addressed by contacting Vans. Don't leave those holes the way they are (they're dangerous). The bellcrank and the wing spar are both VERY critical components.

I've attached a photo you recently posted in a different thread which shows another drilling mistake you made at the wing tie-down brackets. The similarity between your mistake at the bellcrank and at the tie-down are obvious.

You've got a long way to go on this project but I would respectfully suggest you might need to slow down a bit before drilling critical holes (measure three times, drill once...as the saying goes). I also suspect your drilling technique could be improved by getting some advice from members of your local chapter. It's not just that your holes are misplaced...it's more than that.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tech Counselor?

Hi Omar,

Where are you located in the Houston area? We have quite a few experienced builders and an assortment of Tech Counselors that might be able to stop by and look over the project (if you haven't found someone already).

Asking Van's for their opinion is a great idea from the pictures you posted - but you might benefit from someone who can see how you're doing.

Paul

northwest of houton

Paul,

I live in the northwest area of Houston. I have not found a tech counsalar yet but i would like to have one or two. If you know of any, please let me know or email me at [email protected] and i will reply with my address and phone. Now, regarding the tie down attach hole, i will put a patch on it and that should fix it. i am just waiting to install the stall warn plate first to see how much clearance i have. As for the Bellcarnk attach holes, the holes that are deformed are the 4 middle holes in the main spar web. Yes you are right, i need to measure much better and also use better drill bits. The tie down assembly (spacers, tie down bracket and nutplates) are all good and have no problems. Vans suggested i drill two more holes in the middle of the tie down assembly if i needed. When i install the complete assembly now, it is tight.

Back