What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Patience pays off, First plane ride for the wife

pauldan181

Well Known Member
After 25 years of marriage, 10 years of building, and 3 years flying, early this morning Laura finally announced " I want to go for a plane ride"

"OK, Let's go!"

The required tandem shot:

81711758.jpg

We spent an hour sightseeing in the cool calm morning air. I gave her the Piedmont/Foothills tour of North Carolina including a lap around our favorite hiking and picnic spot Pilot Mt. S.P.

pilotmt.jpg

I must not have scared her too bad, she's now jumping around asking "I want to fly to the beach now"

OK, Let's go!

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Find a nice beach with a hotel/B&B/whatever that she will like and take an overnight trip.

Enjoy the beach. Ocracoke is a great destination by air.

:)

Thanks for the tips guys. Ocracoke looks nice but I noticed a lot of restricted airspace out that way and I'm still a noob at military airspace procedures. There wasn't much of it back in Minnesota. Larry, is there any special procedures or preferred corridor for getting to the outer banks?

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Let's meet at Jekyll Island....

...next Sunday for brunch at the Hotel.....say arrive around 11:00 a.m. and go to the Jekyll Island Club hotel where the rich and famous of the 1800's did.

This was Jenny's request to me yesterday. The FBO manager, Richard van Iderstein is a Delta mailing tube pilot and great guy who loves RV's.

Best,

25 years of marriage? When did you guys get married? When you were 3?

Kudos to the bride for taking the plunge! I can see a side by side seater in your future! Or a -10!

Paul, when we went to Ocrcoke...

Thanks for the tips guys. Ocracoke looks nice but I noticed a lot of restricted airspace out that way and I'm still a noob at military airspace procedures. There wasn't much of it back in Minnesota. Larry, is there any special procedures or preferred corridor for getting to the outer banks?

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

....we flew across the area where MCAS Cherry Point is...that area is not restricted and gassed up at Smith then on up to Ocracoke. MCAS approach will work you through their area,

Best,

....we flew across the area where MCAS Cherry Point is...that area is not restricted and gassed up at Smith then on up to Ocracoke. MCAS approach will work you through their area,

Best,

Thanks Pierre, I havem't had a chance to do any real flght planning that direction yet, I just didn't want to get into a situation with a lot of deviation around restricted areas, kind of defeats the whole out and back (with a nervous passenger) quick beach day concept.

Jekyll Island sounds great. Everything's last minute with us but you never can tell.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

I'm planning a trip out to MRH (Beaufort) in the coming weeks. It's a quick hop from the Piedmont area and it really beats the four hour drive.
If you see a yellow -4 on the ramp, come say hello!

Wonderful, Vic....and others..

Carol and I might be willing to meet at Jeckyl this coming Sunday, too.

Vic

Jenny puts in long hours at her Huddle House restaurant, so I try and treat her to her favorite place...Jekyll, for the most fabulous and classy Sunday brunch anywhere, at the Jekyll Island club. This upscale meal is a treat to remember....we plan on arriving around 10:45 a.m. and using a Red Bug electric car to accomodate us and Jenny's two teenage boys....one of whom is helping to build his uncle's RV-7A.

I'll call and reserve two Red Bug cars, Vic..

See ya,

Sounds good. We signed up for an Angel Flight Sunday into St. Simon's, too, so I will drop off at St. Simon's and head over and try to be there by 10:45.

Vic

Best ways to go to Ocracoke

Thanks Pierre, I havem't had a chance to do any real flght planning that direction yet, I just didn't want to get into a situation with a lot of deviation around restricted areas, kind of defeats the whole out and back (with a nervous passenger) quick beach day concept.

Paul, by all means go to Jekyll, but put Ocracoke on your short list. I used to fly out of Seymour Johnson and use that military airspace all the time AND I used to go to Ocracoke in my RV-6, so I'm very familiar with the airspace. I've done the RV trip both these ways and it's really not as bad as it looks on the chart.

Two best methods:
1) Fly over Cherry Point, turn left and do the beach run down the Outer Banks. Stay about 8-10K over Cherry and give them a call - if you're up that high you won't be in anybody's way. After clear of Cherry, drop down low - its great fun to run the beach down low, pylon-turn around the lighthouse on Cape Hatteras, and press up to Ocracoke.
2) Second best is just fly through the Pamlico MOA. Give the controller a call and he'll point out any traffic, but even if you can't raise them I wouldn't be too worried about going through it VFR below 10K'. If it's a weekend, then it will be very lightly used and you'll almost certainly not be in anyone's way. Even during the week it's not used a lot down below 10K', and even less below 5K'.

The wife and I really liked going to Ocracoke. It was a 4-hour drive with a ferry from Goldsboro - or a 45-minute hop in the RV. Land, walk 2 minutes to the beach, have a picnic or go swimming, and then back home for dinner. Awesome.

Back