What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mogas

redhawk

Well Known Member
Can someone tell me if it is legal to put mogas in my O360 RV4 even if I don't have a STC for it? Since it's a "experimental" category do I need the STC?
Thanks!

Can someone tell me if it is legal to put mogas in my O360 RV4 even if I don't have a STC for it? Since it's a "experimental" category do I need the STC?
Thanks!

You can put whatever you want in it since it's experimental.

Hi Dick.....

...we used to run 50/50 mogas/avgas, simply to have the benefit of lead present, which is missing in mogas, for valve guide lubrication.

Best,

I know this has probably been discussed in one of the other forums, but has anybody been burning mogas with ethanol for any statistically significant period of time? If so, was there any detrimental effect on performance or on any engine/fuel system components (I'm thinking fuel cap/drain gaskets, mechanical fuel pump, carburetor?)

I know this has probably been discussed in one of the other forums, but has anybody been burning mogas with ethanol for any statistically significant period of time? If so, was there any detrimental effect on performance or on any engine/fuel system components (I'm thinking fuel cap/drain gaskets, mechanical fuel pump, carburetor?)

From what I've seen over the years here on VAF yes, people have done it for long periods and gotten away with it. While others, including myself, have tried it and immediately had proseal pealing off the the inside of both tanks and within hours, had gas dripping on the hanger floor. I'm betting, on mine at least, that my proseal mixing/applicating wasn't up to par and it didn't have a chance against the alcohol. (in the end I had to build new tanks) As far as performance, I have no data, but have read here that there isn't much difference to tell, other than the price at the pump.

Mogas & Marvel Mystery oil

In error, I fueled my 9A with mogas containing ethanol and then headed out to the practice area for some engine out training. After pulling the power gradually to simulate engine out (carb heat was on), we headed towards the runway.

100' off the deck, I pushed in the power to go around. The O-360 stumbled badly and refused to spin up so I reduced power to the point where we could remain airborne but not gain alt. After a few seconds the engine stabilized, I added more power and we successfully gained alt. Outside temps were approx 60 degrees and humidity was close to zero.

My instructor & I decided to test this again but this time we gained lots of alt before the next simulation. The same mishap happened. We did it one more time and the same prob happened again.

After landing at my home airport, the engine stalled on the runway. The next day I realized my error with fueling. Needless to say, I immediately drained the balance of the fuel and put it into the wife's mini van.

Since then we've located and used mogas w/o ethanol and I have experienced no problems. For takeoffs and full power operations, I use my rite tank which is 66% mogas and 33% av. Once at alt and < 65% power, I switch to the left tank which is 100% mogas. CHTs are always < 380 and EGT are kept at 1450-1460.

The question I have concerns Marvel Mystery Oil. Have folks using mogas experimented with this product and what's been the result?

I welcome comments especially from Pierre.

I have used MOGAS 100% for ~300hrs. I tested each time to make sure there was no ethanol. I added Marvel Mystery Oil (4oz per 10gal) each time. No issues found with engine performance or seals. The only problems that I found were.

1. MOGAS stinks
2. brown staining around overflows and fuel caps

I stopped using MOGAS since ~Sept '09 when all the local sources added Ethanol. Recently, I have ran a couple tanks of 10% Ethanol w/o issue. I'm not sure I have the balls to continue though. In theory, all the seals in my engine are compatible and there doesn't appear to be a performance issue, but what if...

My Engine setup is as follows:

Superior XP-360
1 Lightspeed Plasma II Plus, 1 Slick Mag
Precision Airmotive Silverhawk FI
Hartzell Blended Airfoil C/S Prop
Airflow Performance Boost Pump

Greg
RV-7A

the witches brew

car gas, 100 LL, marvel, blend it up, stir it good and watch it go. 7 years worth, $ saved, engine likes it, fly a lot. check my posts history for more info. turbo
img0602n.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input. The mogas issue is always interesting, but now that I know it's legal without a STC I will try a mix in my RV4. My big concern with the mogas is that it will vapor lock easier I think than 100LL, so that deserves attention for sure. I run a mix in my Cessna 182 with no problems and actually my plugs run cleaner. There's only one place here in Colorado that I know it's available (Longmont), so when that goes I guess that's it on mogas!

About 300 hours

But I don't run a mechanical pump (vapour lock risk) . Fliwn up to about15.5 k. Without issue. It takes a bout 7.5gph with E10 at 160kts true..or about 7gph without ethanol. Other than that it works just fine.. Be careful to make sure about compatibility of seals.

Frank

We plan on putting mogas in ours, but we put the smaller 150hp cylinders in it.

As far as I am aware there is no requirement for an STC, STC changes the original configuration of a FAA approved "spam can" aircraft.

Back