What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does water enter a -10 during a wash job?

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Since I didn't build this airplane, I was wondering, since the 6, 7 and-9 have a skin that underlaps the wing, water used to get in my -6 until I drilled a hole in that outer skin.

Will a -10 let water in when I wash it, or is it sealed?

Thanks,

Pierre, I have never had a problem with water getting into my airplane during a wash job.

We missed you at X35 on Monday!

Washed w/o hose

I've washed my plane several times in it's 1st year, but never used a hose. Here in AZ no matter how quick you are, the water will evaporate and leave mineral residue. The locals taught me how they do it, and it's much easier than with a hose. Just use a spray bottle and some CostCo microfiber cloths. I can do the whole plane in less time than it takes me to taxi to the wash rack. Even works on the belly.

Didn't hear anything about it 'til afterwards.....

Pierre, I have never had a problem with water getting into my airplane during a wash job.

We missed you at X35 on Monday!

...but we're planning on coming to Spruce Creek next Thursday, spend the night and go visit Jesse and company on Friday and have lunch, then come home.

Best,

Great idea Deems. I am going to try that. Even with the humidity here, we have pretty much the same problem on a hot sunny day. I guess I can just wash it in the hangar using that technique. :)

Hey Deems,

I will leave my plane dirty.............can you come show me how you do that WASH method using my plane? :) The paint scheme is familar!

DEAN

Bugs-B-gone is sold in NAPA stores...

....and the bugs start dissolving shortly after you spray the leading edges. The stuff can be used on just about anything, including plexiglass.

Best,

Haven't washed mine with water either. I've been using the Maguires Detail Spray with micro fiber cloth and it seems to work great as well. I can do all the top surfaces in about 30 minutes if that long. The belly is another thing, but a bottle of 409 and a creeper, and I've got that done in anothe 30.

Easy plane washing

Using a rag with a small bucket of water works even better... wipe down the surface with a wet rag (rince the rag in the water as necessary), then dry the surface with a microfiber cloth. Do small areas at a time. This works very will for cleaning the whole plane or cleaning the bugs off after each flight..:)

Victor

Some of my sailplane friends turned me on to EZdetailer. It's an emulsifier with carnuba wax that you spray on & wipe with a microfiber or terry towel. Let it dry for a minute, then wipe it off like a wax and it leaves an AMAZINGLY slippery high gloss coating that bugs just melt off of. The only downside is that you have to buy a case of at least 6 cans at a time.

http://greenautoproducts.com/

The belly is another thing, but a bottle of 409 and a creeper...

I would suggest not using 409 on aircraft, it is very corrosive. A quote from the MSDS "Other Precautions: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON SOFT VINYL, VARNISHED OR ALUMINUM. IF SPRAYED ON THESE SURFACES, RINSE & WIPE DRY IMMEDIATELY." Problem is, how do you rinse and dry the inside of a lap joint? Simple Green makes an aluminum friendly cleaner, that works just as well, sold as "Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner." Available in the aircraft supply department at Home Depot.

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I would suggest not using 409 on aircraft, it is very corrosive. A quote from the MSDS "Other Precautions: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON SOFT VINYL, VARNISHED OR ALUMINUM. IF SPRAYED ON THESE SURFACES, RINSE & WIPE DRY IMMEDIATELY." Problem is, how do you rinse and dry the inside of a lap joint? Simple Green makes an aluminum friendly cleaner, that works just as well, sold as "Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner." Available in the aircraft supply department at Home Depot.

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

I hope this is the same product that Home Depot was selling in the blue squirt bottles that had "Boeing spec" on it. I haven't been able to find it lately. We've been using the Boeing spec Simple Green with very good results. Spray it on, then scrub with a wet rag, followed with a dry one. This leaves no residue, and a good shine.

That's the stuff...

I really was surprised the first time I saw it at Home Depot, I had bought my first couple of bottles from Aircraft Spruce. My local H/D had it in stock as a week ago. Works great under the hood of old european cars too. :rolleyes:

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Airport Harrassment - Need Legal advice

When I arrived at the airport yesterday I was greeted by the RV KDVT constabulary and informed that my Tip re 'washing' the a/c had received front page billing on VAF! Finally, 5 minutes of stardom! .......:p

Only it seems that someone was a bit put out. :rolleyes:

And before I knew it I was being chastised. Apparently my reference in the post attributing the source of this knowledge as 'locals' was deemed as a blatant attempt to shower myself in the limelight of the moment while hiding the TRUE source of all aviation wisdom. An inquiry was immediately convened, testimony received, and I was found guilty by a jury of my peers.:confused:

My sentence - To 'wash' all of planes of the 'locals' AND to correct the official VAF record to properly attribute the source of this wisdom so that life at the airport can return to its harmonious heartbeat, and that I can once again be welcomed into the fold.

So for the VAF record: The identities of the persons who originated this brilliant idea are:

Lxxxy Sxxxxxxxr
Jxxxy Xxxxxx
Bxxl Kxxxxxk
Dxc Xxxxxx
Mxx Xxxxxxxx
Lxxxxy Fxxxxs

Eat your heart out guys,.....and Oh Yeah, you can wash your own airplanes!!:D:D

When I arrived at the airport yesterday I was greeted by the RV KDVT constabulary and informed that my Tip re 'washing' the a/c had received front page billing on VAF! Finally, 5 minutes of stardom! .......:p

Only it seems that someone was a bit put out. :rolleyes:

Sheesh Deems,
Good thing I put my coffee cup down before I started reading. :D
Especially since I know there is a real gestapo airport management there at DVT.

Back