What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Oil filter adaptor

Tom McCutcheon

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what oil filter adaptor works on an O-320 and an RV-4. Apparently this replaces the Vernatherm housing. I have found out that there is a pressure filter in that housing that is supposed to be checked and cleaned every 25 hours. To get to mine I have to remove the vacuum pump and to remove that I have to remove the right mag. What a pain. I also noted that above the vernatherm housing and slightly to the right (looking forward from the pilot seat) is the mechanical take-off for my tach. So, I've looked at several online. The one that looks nice looks like the filter is almost vertical tilting maybe slightly to the left side of the airplane. The instructions say to puncture the top of the filter when you are ready to remove it. The oil drains down and you don't get oil everywhere. Nice if I have the room. Otherwise I have to go with one that the filter goes straight back.

Tom

Is this the stock oil screen in the back of the case between the left mag and the vacuum pump? If so, it's not too hard to service without removing anything. Does anybody know if there's a step-by-step instructional with pictures out there for cleaning the oil screen on an O-320?

Hi Tom,
It sounds like you are referring to an angled oil filter adapter. I have one from ECI on my RV-4. I had to also get the 2 1/4 in adapter extender from ECI to move the oil filter far enough back to clear the motor mount.
Because of the extension, I have to remove the studs and replace them with longer bolts. Works great.

Thanks Tom for the reply. I haven't been able to find an ECI unit. However, while looking I found a Casper Labs unit. Does anyone know if that will work on a RV-4 with the O-320 engine. Also, as Tom pointed out, would it need an extension to (the Casper Labs unit) and do you know if they sell one?

Tom

I had to buy this one for my Conycal mount 320 because the 90 degree one would not clear the engine mount (not even with the 2.5 inch ext).

CIMG3278.JPG

CIMG3243.JPG

Thats what I have on my four. 200 hours on it, no problems. I was told this is an improved version of a certified unit. Something about the diameter of the holes or some such thing. Whatever. It works great. Casper sells the extension as well if memory serves.
Very easy to get to as well. Oil and filter changes take just a few minutes now.

DM

Thanks Tom for the reply. I haven't been able to find an ECI unit. However, while looking I found a Casper Labs unit. Does anyone know if that will work on a RV-4 with the O-320 engine. Also, as Tom pointed out, would it need an extension to (the Casper Labs unit) and do you know if they sell one?

Tom

Casper does sell one (2.25" required for RV-4). Call or email them - they are extremely helpful and offer practical advice and drawings.

Nigel Marshall

Tom

Back