What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bendix on Prestolite Starter

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
The bendix on my prestolite starter is acting up. Occasionally, the starter fails to do anything at all. Sometimes it just makes a growling noise. And, occasionally, it even engages and starts the engine.

I'll check electrical connections, but otherwise, my guess is that I've just got a gummed up or worn bendix.

And the question is: Assuming I remove the starter, how do I go about servicing the Bendix? Step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Check your PM's

Kyle,
I sent you a PM with my cell number.

I completely dis-assembled my bendix a few weeks ago after having similar symptoms and I can tell you how to do it and what to look for.

Mark

Its easy to change the Bendix and makes a world of difference. I can't remember how I did it, but it wasn't very difficult.

Pete

Bendix issues

I was planning on taking my good friend's 8 year old son for an RV ride today. After an extensive pre flight and briefing, we strapped in & turned the key only to find the starter turning, but the bendix not engaging. I tried the usual quick fixes... spraying it with some silicone and tapping it with a wrench, but to no avail, so I pulled the whole starter & drove home with a very disappointed 8 year old :(

Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody knew the part number for the bendix drive for an old style Prestolite starter from an O-320 e2d? Can I just buy a new one and drop it in to the old motor (which seems to be working find and has no endplay in the shaft), or do I have to somehow switch the drive gear onto the new bendix unit?

A friend suggested a skytec starter, but I'd really like to keep the old heavy starter up front to help keep the CG forward.

It's been a while since I had that problem, but after removing the starter, it disassembled very easily for clean up and lubrication. Since then, it has worked very well.

Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how it came apart, but again, it was dead simple.

Mine seems to be pretty well stuck in the "engaged" position. I managed to get the gear off of the business end, but after that it didn't seem to want to come apart.
Does anybody know a source (and part number, I can't seem to find one on the unit) for a new Bendix drive for the old, heavy Prestolite starter? Might there be an automotive equivalent that's readily available?

Back