What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does Magnet Kit come with the Finish Kit?

Just wondering if I need to order that magnet kit or if it comes with the finish kit(?) Van's support out of the office for Airventure for a while - figured someone here would know that.

Thanks!

Magnet kit

I couldn't get good results with it. If they aren't really close to touching, they lock off field and end up with mismatched holes. I found better ways.

What magnets are you guys referring to? The only magnets I remember are the ones associated with the wing pin reed switches, and I thought Vans eventually got rid of them.

Good to know - open to suggestions...what method did you use?

The magnets actually work pretty well if you do one specific thing (not sure if it is documented or not)....
Join two magnets together so that you know what the poll alignment is. Separate them and tape one in a location in a hole location, with the point that was contacting the other magnet, centered on the hole being located.
Do this for all the magnets being placed.
If this is done, it helps assure that when a magnet is put in place on the outside, the polls will fully align and the outer one will accurately show the hole center.

What magnets are you guys referring to? The only magnets I remember are the ones associated with the wing pin reed switches, and I thought Vans eventually got rid of them.

They are tiny ball magnets (they come with the Finishing Kit). I used them to locate holes on the spinner.. and I think the tailcone fairing.

Other methods you can try, in some cases, is to shine a bright light through the hole in the sheet metal (spinner front or backplate).. if its dark enough, you can see the light on the fiberglass spinner. Since space is limited, the only practical way to do this on the front-plate is to use a AA battery, resistor and an LED light taped to the front-plate so that the light shines through the hole you want to locate.

Or, with the spinner off, you could use a laser pointer to shine directly into/through a hole in the spinner's backplate/frontplate.. put the spinner on. then drill the spinner where you see the laser hitting it.

Both of these other methods are more time consuming.

I couldn't get good results with it. If they aren't really close to touching, they lock off field and end up with mismatched holes. I found better ways.

I discovered this the hard way. But was able to correct before disaster. As long as you 100% verify you've got the pole of magnet centered in the hole you're good.

Hole method

They are tiny ball magnets (they come with the Finishing Kit). I used them to locate holes on the spinner.. and I think the tailcone fairing.

Other methods you can try, in some cases, is to shine a bright light through the hole in the sheet metal (spinner front or backplate).. if its dark enough, you can see the light on the fiberglass spinner. Since space is limited, the only practical way to do this on the front-plate is to use a AA battery, resistor and an LED light taped to the front-plate so that the light shines through the hole you want to locate.

Or, with the spinner off, you could use a laser pointer to shine directly into/through a hole in the spinner's backplate/frontplate.. put the spinner on. then drill the spinner where you see the laser hitting it.

Both of these other methods are more time consuming.

That's what I did. Yes, time consuming.
Cat toy laser works. Rig a method to mount it. Point it at the hole location. Assemble parts. Drill the spot. It does take time resetting but it works.

Back