What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I energize my starter without the flywheel installed to test?

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
Starting to test my electrical system and wondering if I can power the starter to check the electrical function without the flywheel attached? Or can this damage it?

It's a Skytech starter.

TIA
Gary

Starter test

Should be fine. I wouldn't let it windup to high rpm. Skytec tech support is very helpful.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Be ready to disconnect the ground cable if you wiring is wrong or solenoid sticks for some reason. You might think about having a second person hold the start button (switch?) while you touch the ground to the battery for a second to confirm correct solenoid operation.

Be ready to disconnect the ground cable if you wiring is wrong or solenoid sticks for some reason. You might think about having a second person hold the start button (switch?) while you touch the ground to the battery for a second to confirm correct solenoid operation.

Killing the master should take care of this...

I often click the starter without the power wire connected to the starter to hear the solenoid click.

I often click the starter without the power wire connected to the starter to hear the solenoid click.

I do it this way as well, and check for voltage on the starter cable at the same time. I can be pretty sure the starter will spin once I connect it in that case.

NEVER MIND

Most of you will figure out from my last post what went wrong. The light came on for me just after I made my own comment about my test fuse .

Duh! Of course I blew my 7.5 amp fuse them I tried to run my starter current thru it!!! Apparently I got confused between the starter relay current and the full load of the starter current.

Well, that's why we're test the electrical system, right?

And, yes, I do feel a little foolish right now!

Back