What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

John Farnham

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I lost my wonderful father to cancer on Dec. 28th. Just posting a few photos here to celebrate his 63 year love affair with flying. He joined the RCAF in 1949 and was in for 27 years flying the Harvard, B25, P51, Vampire, T33, F86, Neptune, Argus and DC3 among others. The Canadair MK 6 Sabre with the Orenda engine (1400 lbs. more thrust than the J47) was his favorite airplane. He flew this in Europe in the mid to late '50s in an era that was a free-for-all dogfight arena for the huge NATO force there at the time. As they say- those were the days- never to be repeated and he was in it and loved it.

He later flew corporate in a PA31P and King Air E90 until 1996.

He helped me build my RV6A and we flew together a lot when it was done. I checked him out in it so he could borrow it whenever he wanted and he was always excited to tell me about his trips around Alberta. In 2008, we flew it together down to Reno for the air races which we went to many times. A very memorable trip in a plane we built together.

His last flight as PIC was on his 84th birthday in 2012 (last photo).

He lived and breathed aviation his whole life and spent 17,500 hours in the air. He really lived his dream, had a wonderful life and was an amazing father. Gonna miss you a lot Dad. Blue skies.

dad9_zpsxsrrrvip.jpg

dad12_zps81qu0fmy.jpg

Rabat 1956. 430 squadron

dad11_zpsz24yrju7.jpg

dad22_zpsfexrh4wo.jpg

dadbd2012flight0002.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful life!

Sorry for your loss, but sure sounds like you had a good time together and he was successful in passing the torch!

Vic

Amazing father!

Obviously you were part of him living his dream; now you can carry it on. I extend to you and your family my most heartfelt sorrow and condolences.

My condolences and from an outsiders eyes, you are a lucky man to have such an aspiring father. I can see from your words you already knew that.

While you can celebrate a rich and full life, the end always seems to come too soon. My condolences.

Ross, Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. His passion for aviation seems to be passed on. It is good to hear he was not only your Dad but a best friend as well. Condolences on your family's loss.

Wonderful

What a wonderful story. Sorry for your loss. Tonight we celebrate the good times you had with your father.

Respectfully,

My condolences

Hi Ross,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I just spoke with a good friend of mine that knew your mother and father, Fern Villeneuve.

Fern told me that he just received a Christmas card from your parents and didn't know your father was ill. Fern called and spoke with your mom on the 29th and learned of his passing.

Fern told me that he first met your father initially in CFB Chatham after your father came back from France on the sabre, where your dad instructed on the T-33 and flew the sabres in Chatham. Fern said that your father was a great guy, a skilled pilot, and was a perfectionist! Nothing like the pot calling the kettle black! I asked Fern if your dad ever tried out for the Golden Hawks when Fern was the team leader, but he indicated that most of the guys that had families didn't volunteer. Wives thought it was too dangerous after a flight of sabres went in in Europe doing formation flying.

Were coming into an age where a lot of our flying legends are passing on. They lived in an amazing aviation era that will never be seen again. Amazing that guys like your father and Fern and so many others were thrown into single seat jets after only flying the T-6.

Wishing you and your family all the best in these tough times.

My condolences

I love your father's grin in the RV. I can only hope I live my life to the fullest like he did. He was surely a great man from the greatest generation.

Thanks very much everyone. Appreciate the sentiments a lot.

To Don Patrick, yes my Dad was good friends with Fern, leader of the legendary Golden Hawks and it means a bunch that Fern would say those kind things about my father. Yes, he was a perfectionist in most pursuits and gave me gentle heck for doing some things not up to his standards. Made me a safer and better pilot but I'll never measure up to him in that department despite the tutoring. He was happy to have one son follow in his footsteps albeit to a much lesser degree than what he accomplished. I've been proud of him my whole life.

I'm glad we could dig up some of these old photos to share here and yes, that last photo is my favorite. I took it on his birthday and that smile sums up his enthusiasm for a simple local flight in the RV at 84 years. He still loved flying in a way I don't think I ever can...

I'm going to try to get up tomorrow in the RV and just have some quiet thoughts about my Dad up there. I was lucky to share so much with him.

Last edited:
Ross

Sad to hear the news.....

Clearly he passed on his passion for flight to you, and you picked it up with honor..

Godspeed and tailwinds to your pop...

Ben.

Ross,
My condolences on the loss of your father. I enjoy reading your posts and am always amazed at the level of knowledge that you have, now I know where it came from. Enjoy your flight and know that your dad will be flying right seat with you always.

Thanks guys. David, I think you had F86 time too? Hope things go well for you and your wife in these tough times.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your dad, Ross. Aviation, particularly military aviation, is so different in the present day compared to when your dad was coming up; although military pilots today continue to assume significant risk every time they strap on an airplane, it pales next to the risks assumed by pilots in your father's era. These were courageous, intrepid aviators. As the father of a current RCAF pilot, I am very glad that things have changed in the way that they have, but I have immense respect and admiration for the pilots of your dad's generation. We will not see their like again.

Memories

That void can not be filled, but those memories will never be forgotten. You've got some great ones...thanks for sharing them.
My condolences to your family.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your dad, Ross. Aviation, particularly military aviation, is so different in the present day compared to when your dad was coming up; although military pilots today continue to assume significant risk every time they strap on an airplane, it pales next to the risks assumed by pilots in your father's era. These were courageous, intrepid aviators. As the father of a current RCAF pilot, I am very glad that things have changed in the way that they have, but I have immense respect and admiration for the pilots of your dad's generation. We will not see their like again.

Agreed, those were exciting but dangerous times. Lots of friends killed and he nearly was in a head-on mid air where he had to eject. As he came down in his parachute watching the Sabre spin down below him with no fin, it exploded and the fireball burned off his eyebrows but didn't get the chute. He then was drifting down right towards the burning crash site but managed to just avoid the ring of flames. Lucky indeed but the other pilot did not survive.

My Mother must have had many worried days as the wife of a fighter pilot in Europe during those days.

Condolences

Hi Ross,

I wanted to pass on my deepest condolences on your loss. Your Dad sounds like he was a special guy.

Back