What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling hard to reach HS skin holes

Mohammed

Patron
Hi

What is the best way to dimple the 6 holes at the HS leading edge in the middle apart from using the pop rivet dies?

Mohammed

Why do you not want to use the pop rivet dimpler?

I've built at least 7 airplanes using nothing BUT the pop rivet dimpler. It works great, provides a beautiful dimple and you will NEVER punch an extra hole with it.

I've built at least 7 airplanes using nothing BUT the pop rivet dimpler.

^Now that just sounds sadistic.

But I'd get and use the pop rivet tool. You will use it much more during the build. There is nothing worse than screwing something up because you didn't want to buy the proper tool, and then finding out down the line that you needed the tool eventually, anyways.

Chris

HS holes

Draft a helper to flex the skin far enough to dimple. It can be done. Just take your time.

I don't think that will work on the HS leading edge holes.

You're right... I was thinking of dimpling the small spaces like at the TE of the old folded ailerons and flaps.

The pop rivet tool is fine in this application. As is a rivet gun, a male die, and a bucking bar with a pilot hole and countersunk relief machined into it.

Pop rivet dimpler

On a related note, I've had trouble finding the right size "nail" to pull the pop rivet dimpler with. Any tip on which nail works best? Mine seem to pull the head through quickly without fully forming the dimple. Seems like the nail is too small, but couldn't find a larger size that would fit in the dies...

Hello Saudi Arabia!

Mohammed,
I have just redone this part of the build because I didn?t like how some of the holes came out on the HS service bulletin. If you are have the DRDT-2 dimpler, then it works great, set up on the edge of a work table. The HS skin slides in the top throat of the DRDT-2 for dimpling and the bottom part of the skin sits under the work table surface out of the way. There is enough angle in the DRDT-2 base that the bend of the HS skin fits right in there. Good luck! :)

Back