What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to the Bay Area...

BASE1127

I'm following my wife to Mountainview where she has an internship this summer that will possibly lead to long term employment and a coast to coast move. I'm looking to base our RV-4 nearby, but I know that ramp and hangar space is a little harder to come by in the Bay Area than it is out here on the east coast. Where do the EAA'ers and RV'ers congregate in the southern Bay Area? What can I expect for ramp/hangar fees in the neighborhood?

We'll be spending at least two months in Mountainview starting in late May, then hopefully relocating permanently in the summer of 2012.

Much thanks for the info!

Stop by EAA 338 at RHV the second Tuesday of the month. RHV actually has two chapters (EAA 62 as well) but the RV builders are in 338.

There are three airports in the county, PAO, RHV, and E16. I've been flying out of RHV since I learned to fly in the mid 70s. As far as availability, I think hangars are hard to come by at PAO. RHV usually has a waiting list but I think hangers are easier to get these days. E16 is even easier and I think, has no wait. In fact, I need to give them a call soon since I'm starting to get close to my move to the airport. I plan to move to RHV for Phase 2. I've been on the hangar waiting list for years so I should be near the top of the list.

Rates aren't cheap. All three airports have the same rates. Don't quote me on this but I think T hangars are about $450, tie downs are around $100. The best bet is to get a larger hangar and split the cost. That's what I'll probably do.

My guess is that you will most likely end up at RHV.

Other options

There are other airports locally that can work, just a little further drive, remember, nothing is cheap in that area! I lived in Mt. View and had an airplane at Half Moon Bay, really pretty, but weather is cruddy due to marine fog. I eventually moved to Hollister which has great weather and lots of space. The downside is that both are about a 45-50 minute from Mt. View, but are probably a bit cheaper than the alternatives. Frazier Lake could be interesting but all hangars are private, so you'd need to poke around to see if anyone has space.

Hey welcome to the area. I would echo what's already been said -- PAO (palo alto, closest to mountain view for you) and SQL (san carlos) are going to be very tricky to find space. I know that renting a hanger outright at PAO is nearly impossible, but finding space in a shared hanger could be do-able if you call around. SJC does have a decent GA ramp -- anyone know how easy it is to get space there?

South county E16 or RHV are probably best bets.

Now it's too bad they won't open up moffett to GA, sooo much space!

PAO SQL

From Mountain View your closest two airports are PAO and SQL, in that order. I have been on the hangar waiting list at SQL for the past 3 years, and expect to continue to be on the hangar waiting list for another 3-5 years. There simply are more people that want hangars than they have, and they have no additional real-estate to build. Tie down spots, however, are available at both airports. I know that you can walk into the SQL office today and get a tie down. Rates are ~$160/month IIRC.

To get in a hangar you have to go further (RHV, for example). You might consider contacting the local EAA chapters (EAA 20 at SQL) and see if folks have hangars and would/could share. Some of the hangars are large enough to shoehorn in two planes, although you may need to build ramps or the like to have wings or tails clear the other planes. I'd suggest the aircraft lifts, but they are very pricey.

Bay Area Airports

Four more options: Livermore, Tracy, Byron and Concord. Livermore (LVK) has a hangar waiting list years-long but it does have tie-downs for about $130/month, Tracy (TCY) or Byron (C83) may have hangar availability but you need to make local inquiries to find one. Concord (CCR) has no spare hangars but does have tie-downs. Try coming to a Livermore EAA chapter meeting on the first Thursday of the month at 7:30 pm to see if somebody has temporary hangar space (http://www.eaa663.org/). Call Craig Vincent at Tracy ((209) 830-7666) to see if he has ideas on hangars at Tracy.
Leland
RV9A
Livermore

Thanks everybody!

Much thanks to everybody for the intel! I'll probably try to get a tie down at PAO or RHV for this summer and try to find a spot in a shared hangar if we end up making a permanent home in the Bay Area.

I hope to run into you all at a chapter meeting or on a ramp somewhere soon.

So long,

Back