What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Source for Oil?

Buying oil online plus paying shipping charges vs. buying local with local sales tax is pretty much a wash here... so lately I have just been buying local for convenience and getting the product into my hands quickly.

Keeping some of my aircraft maintenance dollars circulating in the local economy is probably a good thing too.

Try the Local distributor

If they will sell it to you. Locally here they will. Since its kind of a drive I buy several cases when I go. IIRC, my last price on Aeroshell 100 was $53. The only problem with on line is shipping take a big toll... Good luck.

Whats the best place to get aircraft oil? .....online? local?

I recently paid $247.36 for 4 cases of Phillips X/C at oil-store.com (including shipping). This works out to a little over $5/qt. At most places I looked at, you definitely save on shipping the more you order.

-Rob

Same problem, shipping

My favorite place is: https://www.airplaneoil.com/
If you can find someone to beat their price - they will beat that price! Good service and a LARGE savings over local sources down here.

I just compared their price with my local Shell Oil distributor. Airplane oil's price is $5.60 a case less. The shipping is $27.11, so my net savings buying local is $21.51 a case, $1.79 a quart.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Last edited:
Well of course...

I'd recommend you try to shop locally :D

Geez, you were in my office today and you didn't even ask me. It's good I'm not offended easily!

See ya Monday....might need help moving snow (will work for oil, right?)

Last edited:
I buy from my local gas and oil distributor. They have pallats of every type of aviation oil stacked up in the warehouse. IIRC Phillips XC runs about $45/case and Aeroshell 15-50 runs about $60/case.

Buying Oil

Whats the best place to get aircraft oil? .....online? local?

I wouldn't even consider having oil shipped; the best place for me is local (Salem, OR). Eight months ago a dealer sold me 7 cases of Phillips X/C 20W-50 for $283.50. That works out to $40.50/case or $3.38 per quart. It was delivered free and there's no sales tax here.

At my previous location (Lewiston, ID) I had an even sweeter deal. The FBO sold me the same Phillips oil from his 55-gallon drum for $2.00 per quart (in my own containers). He was trying to get rid of it and alas, he finally succeeded.

oil on-line

Try oil-store.com. Aeroshell 100w Plus is $51.60 plus $14.79 shipping to CT. $5.63/qt. Better than I can get locally.

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

Also try your local Sam's Club. I buy my Aeroshell 100W for about $50 a case tax included. If they don't have it you might want to ask if they'll stock it for you. I live in a small town and have no idea why they stock it. Maybe somebody asked? I think this is the only aviation oil they carry, though.

Pro's and cons for everything. (and my setup does have some cons) but one benefit of my Subaru engine is I go to Pepboys or Walmart for oil, about $1.50 per quart. I never have to wipe oil off the bottom and never have to add oil. (I think it may even use the same oil filter that I use on my Camry??) :cool:

Back