What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

does anyone hangar their RV outside?

There's the answer

I think the lack of responses give us the answer.

I can't image keeping one outside, not that you couldn't. It would be like parking your '68 Mustang convertible outside all year long.

Only on cross-country trips and even then I hangar it sometimes (if cold out or storms are likely).

There has been one sitting outside at DWH for a little while (last time I was there, it's been a few months now)...with a cover, I believe. Typically I don't see them out though.

I would really want a hanger -- for the space and equipment storage, to work on the plane, etc, aside from protecting it.

Pollinated

This would be a good thread to post some recent pictures of my RV covered in a dusting of pollen.

photo0035m.jpg

My RV is hangared but the pollen still finds its way in. We are having the worst pollen season since I have been in Georgia (9 years). Can't imagine storing my plane outside. I did fly through the pollen the other day and viz was horrible between 1000 and 3000 ft msl.

Last edited:
Im outside at KIZA. Rental hangar space unavailable - waiting list approximately 15 years. Occasionally a hangar will come up for sale, with which you get a lease on the land. $350K-450K if you can believe that.

I cry myself to sleep every night.

erich

YOWWWWW! California! You can buy a whole airport for that in Georgia.

We have 2 RVs that sit outside at Santa Monica, and I know of one at Santa Barbara. The one at Santa Barbara is a beautiful RV9, it was on the cover of Sport Aviation a couple of years ago, painted red and white like the Gee Bee.

As Erich said, getting a hangar in SoCal is next to impossible. Out around Chino and Corona I think it's easier, but that's quite a drive for me.

Same up here in Louisville. I am actually home sick, on my vacation! because of the allergy thing.
Two RV's in the hangar, and if we can get rid of a Huskey, there will be room for four of them...
If you need a hangar,find a cessna driver and share the hangar with him. RV's fit nicely under their wings...

DM

This would be a good thread to post some recent pictures of my RV covered in a dusting of pollen. (need to have my son get them off my celly) My RV is hangared but the pollen still finds its way in. We are having the worst pollen season since I have been in Georgia (9 years). Can't imagine storing my plane outside. I did fly through the pollen the other day and viz was horrible between 1000 and 3000 ft msl.

Unfortunately, an outdoor tiedown at KTYS is the only option for my -7A. The canopy cover keeps the interior dry, but will probably need to be replaced in a couple of years.

I can't decide whether to leave it unpainted and wait 'til it can be hangared to get it painted. OR paint it now and accept the need of more frequent paint jobs as somewhat comparable to the hangar expense over 5 or 6 year.

Opinions?

1. Get a nice canopy cover (Bruce's Custom Covers...?)
2. Move

There is one outside at El Monte right now, but I think he's in the process of getting a hangar. There are a couple that sit out at Hemet, but they look pretty ratty... old -4 is one of them.

Hangar space readily available out east (POC, CNO, EMT) Even WHP has open hangars now that the economy is slowed. IZA, SZP... those ones are tough.

I would NEVER keep an RV outside myself, they weren't designed for it, and don't seal up very tight compared to most certified airplanes.

Hangar share

My RV is currently stuck on the ramp awaiting an overpriced slot in a hangar. Last week I tried to cram it into a hangar with a Waiex, but we couldn't make it work without employing some overly complex system ramps.

Does anybody have a picture of an RV nestled into a standard T-hangar (ours are 40') with a high wing? I'd love to hear from anybody with experience in this department.

water leakage

1.I would NEVER keep an RV outside myself, they weren't designed for it, and don't seal up very tight compared to most certified airplanes.

True, but it can be dealt with. There are two of us side by side on the ramp at IZA with -7As; mine is a slider and the other is a tip up canopy. Through experience and testing with a bucket of water and taping up various joints, we found out something interesting. Rain water can get in and will accumulate under the seat pans unless you take precautions. I assumed for quite awhile that it was coming in under the faring where the wing and fuselage meet. Not the case - at least not the vast majority of it. It flows from front to back on the wing skin, but then goes down where the top wing skin overlaps the front of the flaps. It then goes inward toward the fuselage, THEN FORWARD along the wing root before seeping inward under the seat pans. I now put some blue painters tape over wing skin/flap overlap before rainfall events and have pretty much eliminated the problem. A well-placed drain hole at the bottom inside corner of the wing is a good fix also. I like to keep my flaps down when parked and that may contribute to the water entry - havent tested that yet.

The tip up had some additional leaks around the canopy that I didnt have, but the owner has taken care of those as well I believe. Luckily, there arent that many rain events per year in So Cal and I actually enjoy keeping my baby cleaned and waxed.

Sucks not having a hangar, but I do live in a beautiful area with a great climate. I wouldnt think of giving up my plane due to the lack of a hangar.

erich

Some experience

When I finished our RV-6A I tied it down at SNA (John Wayne/Orange County Airport - Santa Ana, California). Southern California near coastal environment is very easy on airplanes. We bought a Piper Archer (1981 model built in 1980) in 1982 from a private owner that had it tied down at the same airport. In 1987 or 1988 the paint was wearing thin - you could actually see the aluminum in many small spots on the leading edges. I hung window covers inside the airplane (those pretty good red and white ones) to protect the interior from sun, heat and unwanted observation. We designed a paint scheme and had it painted in red/silver/black Imron by Jim Hattfield at Corona Aircraft Refinishers in Chino, California. I flew the plane to work every day and tied it down at El Monte in the transient row north of the fuel pumps adjacent to the taxiway. I always rehung the window covers. After after 15 more years the paint was still good but the silver went flat - if you plan to leave it outside I would not use a metallic color for that reason. I did not have it clear coated and that may have helped keep the metallic silver paint bright and shiny. In 2004 I finished the RV-6A and we sold the Archer without needing to repaint it - it still looked good and I washed and waxed it regularly.

I tied down the RV-6A in the same spot unpainted for a very short time when the universe aligned itself in such a way that retirement was practical and we moved to northwest Arkansas where I was able to enjoy life with a hangar for the first time - oh it is nice. It is a 40' T-hangar that costs today nearly the same as my tiedown at SNA in 2004. I flew for one year without paint but paint does provide a protective coating which I think is especially important if the plane is exposed to the elements all the time. In 2005 we had the RV-6A painted with Imron paint including clear coat by Grey's Aircraft Refinishers in Ozark Arkansas for around half the price I had been quoted for a show quality paint job in California. That paint still looks as new as it did in 2005 but it is only tied down outside while on trips and always with a Bruce's Custom Cover.

A statement was made about the interior not being as well sealed as production aircraft. In general that may be true but if you do it well it needn't be true for your airplane - ours seals very well.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Another reason not to live in Cali

After reading the posts from the west coast guys, it should like just one more reason not to live in California. It's too bad, but I really like it out there. One thing about it, the weather is alot better than most places.

alclad, where I live blowing sand would eat up the paint. Hail storms could cause skin damage. UV light would also take its toll on the paint.

My guess is that RV pilots love their planes enough to not leave them outside (where hangars are available).

Some days I just have to give thanks for what we have here. My hangar rent is $48/month, but it is an open hangar. The pollen is bad, and we have considered adding a door ($3-$4k.) Last night I found I can get a closed hangar with an office (corner of end tee-hangar, cable and internet installed, air conditioned, etc.) for under $100/mo, after paying $2500 to the current renter for the door he installed. The monthly rent includes electricity. The farmland the airport owns pays all the airport operating expenses, and the airport board consists of all pilots. The feds have been very good to us, also (usually, anyway.) This is on a well lighted airport with over 5000' of good main runway, 3000+' cross runway, and 2000' grass runway. I have never been tempted to move....

Bob Kelly

Some days I just have to give thanks for what we have here. My hangar rent is $48/month, but it is an open hangar. The pollen is bad, and we have considered adding a door ($3-$4k.) Last night I found I can get a closed hangar with an office (corner of end tee-hangar, cable and internet installed, air conditioned, etc.) for under $100/mo, after paying $2500 to the current renter for the door he installed. The monthly rent includes electricity. The farmland the airport owns pays all the airport operating expenses, and the airport board consists of all pilots. The feds have been very good to us, also (usually, anyway.) This is on a well lighted airport with over 5000' of good main runway, 3000+' cross runway, and 2000' grass runway. I have never been tempted to move....

Bob Kelly

Drool.... :)

Why is hangar space a rare commodity?

One thing I've noticed. No matter what airport you go to, there always seems to be a waiting list for hangars. Anywhere from several months to several years. Even at airports with lots of space for building new hangars, the situation seems to be the same. Many of these airports are administered by local city or county governments. In the DC area, they can pretty much just name their price and people will be willing to pay it. Wouldn't it make good business sense to just build additional hangars and rent them to all of those people on the waiting list. What am I missing?

Two planes / one hangar

twoplanes.jpg

My RV-7 shares a hangar with my Dakota Hawk. The Dakota Hawk is on a 14" high platform. This raises the Dakota Hawk wing high enough for the RV-7 rudder to roll under the wing with about 3" of clearance. I bolted a simple boat trailer winch to the platform and tie a rope from the winch to the tailwheel of the Dakota Hawk to winch it on/off the platform.

My RV-7 gets flown the most, and I don't have to move the Dakota Hawk at all to get the -7 in and out.

hangups

ummm, around here, we love our RV's just fine. If you take the average income of an RV owner, divide by life, what's leftover is the tie-down rent.
I moved from a piece of grass at $500 per year, to a worse piece of swampy grass for $275 a year. what's left over pays for avgas.
Hangars are scarce as others' have noted, but for $500 a month, I'd have to live in it ( not allowed, I checked !!!)
Rain only gets in when the canopy cover on my slider gets soaked thru by consecutive days of liquid, which aren't the norm here.
Snow, bird droppings, wasp nests, mud daubers, frost etc. are all part of flying. Unfortunately, sometimes it requires 2 hours of prep for a 20 minute flight.

being active duty Navy forces me to move every 2-3 years ( moved 17 times in 25 years) so finding and keeping a hangar can be difficult. About 1.5 years prior to transferring I call all the airports surrounding all the possible duty stations I might be assigned and get myself on a waiting list. So far (fingers crossed) I've been lucky every time - except when I get the bill!!!

Monterey, CA - $650/month for a WWI era, round, rusted, door welded open, no electricity, dirt floor!!! I still paid it though :)

I just signed a lease here in Jax at Craig (CRG) for a nice T-hangar ($350/m) just in time for me to move the -8 for inspection.

At my local airpport I've been on a waiting list for 3 years so far. There are 2 RV-4's that are parked ooutside, and have been as long as I've been flying ( 10 years). I'm just about ready to make the move to the airport, but I need a place to assemble the plane. There's a place about an hour's drive that has space in large community hangers. I may end up there for assembly, inspection and testing. Then after I get it painted I'll probably end up outside at my local airport, still waiting. The last hanger that opened up was taken by someone who was on the "list" in 2006.

Hangars in North Georgia can be very difficult to find, too. Several places that I've asked about hangar space were not even willing to put me on a waiting list! I am fortunate enough to have been offered space in a friends hangar--I'll be sharing space with a Stearman, a T-6, a Bonanza, and a P-40. Good company! I had resigned myself to existence on the ramp until this came up. I hope to get the plane moved up there in a week or two.

T-Hangars in Villa Rica, GA

Hangars in North Georgia can be very difficult to find, too. Several places that I've asked about hangar space were not even willing to put me on a waiting list! I am fortunate enough to have been offered space in a friends hangar--I'll be sharing space with a Stearman, a T-6, a Bonanza, and a P-40. Good company! I had resigned myself to existence on the ramp until this came up. I hope to get the plane moved up there in a week or two.

There are T- hangars available in Villa Rica, GA for $260 a month which includes electric. Contact Peggy Small for info at 20GA. It's a very nice private airport. Also has the cheapest gas in the area as well.

Back