What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can Someone PLEASE Give Me A Shopping List

Vans101

Well Known Member
I am thinking about getting the Fuji two stage like this for the sole reason that it is "turn key" includes the gun and I do not have to worry about oil and water contamination:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4NPMJE/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza#customerReviews

I will be spraying outside in Arizona so the two stage turbine might be too hot for the spray paint Stewart Systems water based paint.

I have a huge and reliable air compressor so I am not opposed to going with the traditional route.

Can Someone PLEASE Give Me A Shopping List of items needed when painting...there are the generic items that are needed regardless of what route I go and then there are specific items required for the air compressor based system?

Any and ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!

First and foremost you need dry air.
A cheap way to run the air through a bunch of coils of copper tubing in a five gallon bucket of ice. It will cool the air and drop the water out. Have a drain in the low area to get it out. One of my older brothers used to paint cars and this method is all he used.
I have $700.00 air dryer in my system. I'm livin in the modern age.
Art

Traditional

You already have a capable compressor. Just need to dry the air.
Arizona should be pretty dry. I live in the mountains in Colorado. Average humidity is 20%. I drain the compressor and yield a few tablespoons after a session. Never had an issue with contaminated air. I don't run any kind of drying system but in Texas I did run a cold box as mentioned.

Traditional system works fine for me.
I love my Harbor Fright Black Widow HVLP HTE
Nice big hose. High volume, low pressure. Full pressure on the hose.
At the gun, the hose connects to a Harbor Fright red disposable water oil filter.
After the filter, a RTI 1/4" Mini Regulator. Very consistent pressure regulator. You want consistent pressure at the gun.
After the regulator, the gun.
Simple and it works.

3M PPS cups or similar
Hobby Air positive pressure system

Other items...
I prefer 60ml rubberless syringes to measure paint and products. Easy to clean and almost zero waste.
Always completely disassemble the gun and clean it thoroughly after a session. Residue builds up and will ruin a paint job. Brushes, q-tips and toothpicks get into those little orifices.
I like tongue depressors for mixing.
I use big paint sticks to mix the can.
Make sure every item is labeled so you don't cross contaminate.
Then there's all the stuff needed to prime, sand, etc.
That's a whole other list.

Last edited:
A good forced air mask! Hobbyair or other. I know the Stewart system is not as nasty as most other paint but I still prefer clean air vs filtered air to breath. I take air from inside an air-conditioned space that blows in the mask so it keeps me cool(er) while wearing the bunny suit.

A paint gun stand from HF is nice to have so the gun has something holding it and its strainer as you dump the paint into it. Lots less spilling that way.

A tyvek suit.

For the dryer I use a toilet paper style with a HF red plastic end of line filter at the gun. Lots use the coiled tube in ice bath trick or expensive electric dryer but I have had great success with the toilet paper roll dryer. Cheap and works well. Just replace the toilet paper roll before you spray.

Back