What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle quadrant without a bellcrank?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I have been trying to figure out a way to use a throttle quadrant (where the cable connects to the quadrant under to rotation point of the friction lock)without the use of bell cranks to reverse the direction of the throw.

Is there a way this can be done for a carburated Lycoming 0-360 with vertical induction?

I have one of Dayton's throttle quadrants and no bell crank in my O-360 powered -9.

No bell crank required.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

You connect the cable to the TQ so when it comes back, it pulls the cable. On the carb, pulling the lever aft closes the throttle and same for the mixture and prop.

The only mod I had to make was I had to drill a second hole on the Throttle lever.

Last edited:
when you attach the cable to this TQ in the picture, and you move the throttle forward, it pulls the cable backwards, ie closes the throttle. Same for the mixture.

Last edited:
You are using the wrong TQ. Sell that one and get a DJM quadrant. On the DJM quadrant, the cables attach above the pivot point, not below it.

Here is a picture of mine:

(Click to Enlarge)

there are a couple of systems you don't want to complicate; ignition, fuel, and engine controls. By adding a bell crank to your engine controls, you are complicating things.

I'm not sure which RV you are building but if it is a side-by-side with the throttle in the center, you want the friction lock on the right side. If it is a tandem model with left hand throttle, then the friction lock should be on the right.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Note the hole location in the DJM unit. It is above the pivot, thus no bellcrank needed.

PC170296.JPG

Can you just rotate the arm on the carb/servo 180*??

Bill,
Do you have a picture of how you hold the cable housings near the quadrant?
I'm planning a similar setup and looking for ideas or reference.
Thanks,

There are more pictures on my website, but I think this is the one you are looking for.

(click to enlarge)

What that doesn't show is the safety wire looped around the adel clamp and cable like this.

Others have used a section of AA to make a bracket to secure the cable with. I thought about doing this but wasn't sure where to place the bracket and the adel clamps have worked very well.

Back