What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you think of this Primer?

Mohammed

Patron
Hi,
To make long story short I couldn't find primers mentioned around here where I live. I bought Bosch PFS 65 portable spray gun and found the below primer can in hardware store, do you think it is any good? Will it work?

20151220_174429.jpg

Mohammed

I've never seen that before but based on its label, it looks like it may not be formulated for aluminum.

Primer

Do you know anybody that works in aircraft maintenance in Riyadh? They should be able to get you a primer that is approved for use on aluminum

Paint

Have you determined what type or brand of paint you intend to use? If so, then use the recommended primer that the paint recommends. Many paints will call out a specific primer. If it isn't going to be painted, then you may want to locate a primer that is specifically suited for aluminum.
Cj

try Auto Parts stores

Do you have any auto parts stores nearby? You may be able to find a self-etch or other suitable primer there, even if it's a spray can.

The primer you show I'm pretty sure is for steel, not what you want.

Thank you all from your valuable inputs.

I had used different spray can primers with mixed results, but all of them didn't last many parts so I have to switch to something more economical with the wings coming up.

I went to auto parts store and they gave me this 2 part epoxy primer and they said it works with aluminum. It looks very nasty stuff :cool:

IMG-20151228-WA0030.jpeg

And here is the product home page:

http://www.sikkenscr.com/en/products/Primers_Fillers/Primer Surfacer EP II

The instructions say I have to use a reducer which I didn't buy. Will off the shelf thinner do the job?

Thank you all from your valuable inputs.

I had used different spray can primers with mixed results, but all of them didn't last many parts so I have to switch to something more economical with the wings coming up.

I went to auto parts store and they gave me this 2 part epoxy primer and they said it works with aluminum. It looks very nasty stuff :cool:

And here is the product home page:

http://www.sikkenscr.com/en/products/Primers_Fillers/Primer Surfacer EP II

The instructions say I have to use a reducer which I didn't buy. Will off the shelf thinner do the job?

Sorry to say, but you should have a chromate primer (zinc or strontium) or one that is a (MRP) magnesium rich primer. The MRP is harder to find, at least in the USA. PreKote and MRP are very good for corrosion resistance on 2024 (structural parts). It seems all military depots will carry some chromate primers or MRP.

I did a little search and found this - -

King Khalid Int'l Airport Industrial Park
P.O. Box 8012
Riyadh, 11482, Saudi Arabia
Tel +966 1 220 3966, Fax +966 1 220 3973
www.alsalam.aero

Lots of aircraft painting jobs listed, so you might go talk to them and once you mention you are building your own plane (take pictures) hopefully you will find a friend who will help.

The data sheet includes this statement "Due to the many different kinds of aluminum it is not possible to guarantee all types as suitable substrate." Also Primer surfacers tend to be thick to cover bodywork making them heavier than a straight primer.

Back