What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SamJames cowl - interior paint

recapen

Well Known Member
Folks,

The instructions for the SamJames cowl call for an interior coating of Epoxy paint. The SamJames folks won't recommend a specific product. What have you used and how do you like it?

Thanks,

I have a James cowl, I haven't fitted it yet but I was thinking about using epoxy primer. I'm not sure if this is the best approach or not.

Start by thinning some epoxy resin with Acetone and filling the pin holes. Then paint with two part epoxy primer. Once dry, apply heat shielding to protect the cowl from exhaust heat.

And use white epoxy primer. It reflects heat better and better to find leaks.

Don’t forget to add the radiant heat shield along the sides near the exhaust pipes. Van’s sells it along with ACS.

Carl

I mixed some white pigment in West epoxy to paint mine. If it seems too thick, I prefer to warm the area with a heat gun as l work rather than thin the epoxy with acetone.
Stewart Willoughby, 6 painting.

Paint it just like the outside. Perhaps not the same color (white is best), but fill, seal, epoxy primer, two-part topcoat.

Start by thinning some epoxy resin with Acetone and filling the pin holes.

No virtue in thinning epoxy with acetone, or anything else. It just screws up the cure. If low viscosity is desired, buy low viscosity.

Back