What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Have Gun Will Travel

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Rivet gun that is,,,,,

Future Builders,

I have been building RV Kits since July 15, 1995. With all kinds of help, I have completed 54 RVs and one Super Cub.
I’m listed as a sheet metal school on Vans site. And have helped dozens of builders get started over the years.. all this to say, I’m thinking of semi-retiring.

My idea is to travel to new builders shops and Help you get started your new kit. Working with builders that want to boost their kits along towards first flight.
And Carol and I getting to know some other parts of the world.
If you want some good help call me and let’s see if we can work together.
817-27i- o5 nine fore

Yes we will come to OZ

Last edited:
Go for it Jay. There is a healthy market for the service, and I know at least one good builder already providing on-site help.

Tried to talk Ms. Patti into moving into a toterhome, but she won't do it.

You've got a taker

Jay
If my guess is right I'm not sure it will be retirement. But I do think you'll be able to travel a lot!
I've PM'd you.

Rivet gun that is,,,,,

Future Builders,

I have been building RV Kits since July 15, 1995. With all kinds of help, I have completed 54 RVs and one Super Cub.
I’m listed as a sheet metal school on Vans site. And have helped dozens of builders get started over the years.. all this to say, I’m thinking of semi-retiring.

My idea is to travel to new builders shops and Help you get started your new kit. Working with builders that want to boost their kits along towards first flight.
And Carol and I getting to know some other parts of the world.
If you want some good help call me and let’s see if we can work together.
817-27i- o5 nine fore

Yes we will come to OZ

I think it’s a great idea and would welcome the service. My EMP kit is coming in January if you want to come out to the Big Bend part of Texas (Alpine, TX)! Are you thinking you’ll kick them off? Help them out of the lull? Inspect and push to completion? Which phase?

I know of a travelling IA that takes on large projects and stays in a class A motorhome for a few weeks at a time. This one is restoring six Seabees.

RV help

My idea is to work in other peoples shops. Probably in short spurts, a few weeks at a time,,

If you are somewhere across the country? Then we may be able to stay longer..
If you are out of the country? That will require some thought and planing..

New kits are my speciality,, Empennage Kits,, QB wing kits..
Customers will need Housing and hanger for us to come to them..
Guess I could drive and pull trailer to Alpine if there was enough work? An an empennage kit is only 110 hours. If I work alone.. probably not enough to be worth it,, but let’s talk..
You will need all the tools.
You will need to call me. I won’t type a book.

Last edited:
Hey Jay----consider what type of shops you might be working in--you may have to bring in quite a few tools to do the job. An outfitted enclosed trailer would be perfect----I had on years agao for a mobile hose shop----but I dont think that Shooter could pull it. Hum---Reindeer?

Tom

Jay Pratt

Unless there is someone else I don't know about, Jay Pratt is the most prolific and experienced RV builder in the world. If you are stuck on a problem or have lost some motivation this seems like an ideal way to get you through it. I cannot imagine a builder who would not want to have their build finished sooner. I have a lot of confidence in Jay. Here he is working on the AOPA RV-10 just last week.

Attachments

• IMG_8187.jpg
    IMG_8187.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Hey Jay----consider what type of shops you might be working in--you may have to bring in quite a few tools to do the job. An outfitted enclosed trailer would be perfect----I had on years agao for a mobile hose shop----but I dont think that Shooter could pull it. Hum---Reindeer?

Tom
Tom, you have words of wisdom,, I’m very efficient in my shop. I have every tool needed to be fast. So,, I think it will take a knowledgeable customer to work with.. if any potential customers actually call??? On the phone.. we will have to discuss their shop and tools. And their needs..

Unless there is someone else I don't know about, Jay Pratt is the most prolific and experienced RV builder in the world. If you are stuck on a problem or have lost some motivation this seems like an ideal way to get you through it. I cannot imagine a builder who would not want to have their build finished sooner. I have a lot of confidence in Jay. Here he is working on the AOPA RV-10 just last week.

That right there will probably be the first -10 to be listed for $500k.

Mine will be the second... :p

Back