What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-Mag; No P Lead ground when hot?

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
Hi,
I have dual emags about 2 years old. When hot like after a fuel stop and I do a mag check I get no drop in my left mag, right drops like normal. This has also prevented inflight lean mag checks when warm, again no drop on left.
Any attempt to check wiring, connectors and such, things are cooled down and all tests fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

PS: I have the stock standard Van’s wiring with P-Lead and keyed ignition switch

Last edited:
Hi,
I have dual emags about 2 years old. When hot like after a fuel stop and I do a mag check I get no drop in my left mag, right drops like normal. This has also prevented inflight lean mag checks when warm, again no drop on left.
Any attempt to check wiring, connectors and such, things are cooled down and all tests fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Which mag check? Turning off 12v power to the mag or grounding the mag P-lead? I assume the P-lead :cool:

Which mag check? Turning off 12v power to the mag or grounding the mag P-lead? I assume the P-lead :cool:

Yes, P-Lead with Van’s standard ignition key switch P-Lead wiring.
The breaker switch check is normal, no drop with Emags self powered.

I would run a separate (temp) P-lead and see if the problem persists. if not, you have a wiring or switch issue.
Is this a new problem? Have you confirmed the timing?

I would run a separate (temp) P-lead and see if the problem persists. if not, you have a wiring or switch issue.
Is this a new problem? Have you confirmed the timing?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would start by doing this. But make sure your temp P-lead wire isn't connected to your existing switch. You want to isolate the wire and switch.

:cool:

Have you tried turning off both ignitions on the ground after a flight? that would be an easy way to verify if the p-lead is actually not grounding.

Back