What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Schematic Software

Sully73

As I build my RV-4 I would like to document the electrical design in a easy to read schematic. Can someone recommend a good software package that does schematics?

I'm going to try https://www.smartdraw.com/circuit-diagram/.

I've tried learning autocad. I bought a subscription to autocad lite. But, its just too complicated for my needs. Plus, it looks like you have to buy "libraries" to get all the symbols that we need for aircraft wiring diagrams, or draw our own.

I'm happy with Autodesk Eagle which has a free version and I will share my library if you like.

Another VAFer recommended ExpressPCB recently. It has Classic and Plus versions which are both free.

Both are printed circuit board design softwares but create nice schematics.

I tinkered with several different options when I was getting going on my schematics, and I ended up settling on KiCad. It's open-source and totally free; like ExpressPCB mentioned before, it's more directed towards PCB design, but I found it works well. The one hangup I had with it is that being PCB-oriented, it does lack some symbols that are useful for our purposes. I ended up creating some custom symbols for my own use, and put them out on GitHub for anyone else to use (and build upon).

I ended up using PowerPoint to create my diagrams. This was recommended by the instructor at AEA's class on the G3X installation, and since I was already very familiar with PowerPoint from work, it turned out to be an easy way to accomplish this task.

Of course, if you are not familiar with PowerPoint, then this won't be any easier than learning any other software package. (I have used CADD programs in the past for other dimensioned drawings, but a schematic doesn't require this type of accuracy.)

Cheers,

N804RV

Ken,
Smartdraw looks like a good package but it would be nice to try it before buying. On their website when you click on Free Trial you are directed to a Buy page where the minimum purchase is one year at $9.95/mo. Am I missing something? Is there a way of getting a free trial?

I've also considered Solidworks (available free thru the EAA) but it is way overkill, and to complicated for making simple electrical schematics.

Draw.io worked great for me

My drawings are very simple. I used draw.io and it was fine. Both a web and a downloadable version. Very close to a simpler Visio, which I really like, but works on the web and even on a mac! :eek:

I purchased a nice pad of drawing paper 36 by 36 inches and drew it by hand. Saved countless hours of learning a complicated program. Modified it many times while doing the electrics. When satisfied re-drew it in pencil. Went over pencil lines with colored sharpies to match wire color. Had it copied in three sizes at a copy shop and laminated. Addendums done the same way. Simple works.

Bob Grigsby
J3-C65 flying regularly
3B close
Calif on fire

I tinkered with several different options when I was getting going on my schematics, and I ended up settling on KiCad. It's open-source and totally free; like ExpressPCB mentioned before, it's more directed towards PCB design, but I found it works well. The one hangup I had with it is that being PCB-oriented, it does lack some symbols that are useful for our purposes. I ended up creating some custom symbols for my own use, and put them out on GitHub for anyone else to use (and build upon).

Hi Phillip. KICAD doesn't recognize the .lib file from your github. I've unzipped the downloaded file and navigated to the location but KICAD will only recognize libraries with their extension. What am I missing?

Hi Phillip. KICAD doesn't recognize the .lib file from your github. I've unzipped the downloaded file and navigated to the location but KICAD will only recognize libraries with their extension. What am I missing?

I know this post is from a few months ago, but you just need to go to "Preferences...", "Manage Symbol Libraries" and add it as a legacy library. Then you can click the "Migrate Libraries " button to convert it to kicad format

Back