What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman certificate issuance

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Has anyone applied for a repairman certificate lately. I wondered how the virus shutdowns have affected obtaining one. Can you do it online now or what?
Thanks for any input!

I had my interview at the FSDO scheduled back in March. They postponed it twice and ended up cancelling it with a promise to get back to me when they were back up and running. Sure enough, about two weeks ago they called and said they'd be able to do it with a combination of email & snail mail. Presumably we'd have a phone call as well. That's in process now so don't know for sure how it'll turn out.

When I certificate an amatuer-built aircraft I issue a "Letter of recommendation" for the repairman certificate. The North Texas FSDO gives this letter some weight and so far none of the applicants I've recommended have had a problem getting the certificate.

Letter of recomindation

Mel, the Atl FSDO does not want them

Guess it varies

Misspelling and unable to edit

FAA

About a year before completion, I contacted the SAT FSDO and they were nice enough to come and inspect the aircraft, and then come back 6 months later for a final check. They issued me the Airworthiness Certificate, Phase I Op-lims, and my Repairman Certificate on the spot.

...and it didn't cost a dime (other than taxes)...

Recently got my Repairman and it was done completely via email. I think I was the first for this office because the process involved 20-30 emails back and forth.

I too had an appointment with the San Antonio FISDO and it was cancelled due to the lockdown. About a month ago it was rescheduled and I went down there will all of my paperwork. Stood across a pane of glass, slid my documentation under the slot and the examiner reviewed it in about 10 min. In another 10 min all of the forms were completed and I was out of there with my temporary certificate.

I'm on my way to the Des Moines FSDO on 7/15. They are located at the Ankeny airport. Can't go into the office at all, but he will meet me outside to complete the paper work. I already sent in my application along with the build documentation.

Looking forward to flying there if weather is good.

Back