What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone with Dynon ordering issues?

dwranda

Well Known Member
Hopefully I am just being a little impatient but I ordered an ADAHRS from Pacific Coast avionics since their price was better than Dynons store on Dec 15th. Emailed them today asking when it might be shipped and they said they will contact Dynon about it but not until after the 1st since they are closed until then. I don't know if the issue is with Pacific but it sounds like it is shipping from Dynon.
I also have contacted Dynon twice to get a quote on their quick panel and all I'm hearing are crickets. No return calls after waiting about 2 months. I guess my question is is this how it is with Dynon sales? Should I expect to wait for things and have to bug them multiple times to get a quote? I'm just an avionics newb trying to figure this whole thing out!!

I?ve had zero issues with Dynon. The have been very responsive to all my calls and questions. Orders are filled quickly. Technical questions are answered and phone calls are returned. I?ll probably order my quick panel in about six months. Dynon has been very helpful and responsive.

My Hangar is 100’ from PCA, so I ordered most of my complete Dynon system thru them. But if they don’t have it in stock you do wait for Dynon, then for PCA as the middle man. I feel both companies are working for us in the end though.

The quick panels are built by Advanced Flight Systems. You may want to give Tricia at AFS a call directly. I don?t know their holiday schedule. Rob is pretty active here on VAF. They?re a great company to work with. I even got a support email on Christmas Day.

Thanks everyone. The first time I called AFS and spoke to a sales guy who really couldn't answer detailed questions about the quick panels so he was supposed to give Rob my contact info for him to call me. I waited about a month then used their websites contact section where you fill in the info for them to contact you about a quote for a panel. Didn't hear anything from that either. I only hear great things about them here on VAF so I am kind of at a loss as why I'm not getting anywhere. I ordered the adahrs so I could get it in before riveting on the final top skin which I wanted to do while my riveting partner is home on break from college. I have plenty of other things to do on the plane so I'm trying to be patient.

Hopefully I am just being a little impatient but I ordered an ADAHRS from Pacific Coast avionics since their price was better than Dynons store on Dec 15th. Emailed them today asking when it might be shipped and they said they will contact Dynon about it but not until after the 1st since they are closed until then. I don't know if the issue is with Pacific but it sounds like it is shipping from Dynon.
I also have contacted Dynon twice to get a quote on their quick panel and all I'm hearing are crickets. No return calls after waiting about 2 months. I guess my question is is this how it is with Dynon sales? Should I expect to wait for things and have to bug them multiple times to get a quote? I'm just an avionics newb trying to figure this whole thing out!!
dwranda,

I was most disturbed to read your post. I joined Dynon just before OSH this year as V.P. Marketing & Sales so this is now my responsibility. Being responsive in every way to our customers is important and historically been a strength of Dynon.

I don't know why your queries have not been responded to but I assure you that can be fixed. My direct office line is 425-527-1437. Please feel free to call me there or send me a PM here at VAF.

Regarding Quick Panels and Advanced Flight Systems, AFS is a separate business unit located 200 miles away. Rob Hickman, well known here as others have indicated, runs AFS and is typically VERY responsive and I believe has a longstanding reputation for that. If you'll PM me with your contact info I'll have him get in touch with you immediately. His customers know that his support does not know the difference between weekdays and weekends.

Related to this, as Dynon has grown, first by acquiring AFS and then expanding into the certified avionics segment, I could see confusion was developing in the market. That's why for 2019 we will be clarifying our branding and messaging. Just before we went home for the Christmas break we pushed up a rev to our web site where we began segmenting our product lines more clearly, click HERE for the new home page. There is more new to come from Dynon during 2019 in this regard.

We appreciate your interest in AFS and Dynon and apologize for any lack of responsiveness!

Looks like Randy is going to take care of this for you.

I can share some of my observations.

Call or email Rob directly. He is responsive. Like I mentioned, I got emails from him on Christmas day.

You mentioned talking to a "sales guy" I suspect you may have reached one of the support team. Tricia and Jennifer are usually who you get if you ask for sales. I've found both to be very responsive in my dealings with both of them.

A lesson that I learned with many vendors, if you need something quick call. There are many reasons why things may fall through the cracks.

I have no affiliation with either AFS and/or Dynon other than being a long time happy customer.

bob

Randy,
Thanks a lot!! No need to call me immediately. Within a week or 2 after the first of the year is fine. I've waited a couple months because I'm not in a big hurry. I only wanted a quote on a couple different configurations I'm considering and hopefully ordering in a few months to install it in 2019. Trying to get everything planned out. That's how ordering the adahrs fit in. Trying to get the stuff in the tail installed before the final skin goes on. I've got a couple weeks before I take my riveting partner to his internship at JSC NASA(woohoo!!) I'll have the adahrs, gps2020 antenna, and autopilot servos installed so I'm already invested in Dynon obviously. I'll PM you my info.
Thanks again everyone. VAF rules!!!

dwranda,

I was most disturbed to read your post. I joined Dynon just before OSH this year as V.P. Marketing & Sales so this is now my responsibility. Being responsive in every way to our customers is important and historically been a strength of Dynon.

I don't know why your queries have not been responded to but I assure you that can be fixed. My direct office line is 425-527-1437. Please feel free to call me there or send me a PM here at VAF.

Regarding Quick Panels and Advanced Flight Systems, AFS is a separate business unit located 200 miles away. Rob Hickman, well known here as others have indicated, runs AFS and is typically VERY responsive and I believe has a longstanding reputation for that. If you'll PM me with your contact info I'll have him get in touch with you immediately. His customers know that his support does not know the difference between weekdays and weekends.

Related to this, as Dynon has grown, first by acquiring AFS and then expanding into the certified avionics segment, I could see confusion was developing in the market. That's why for 2019 we will be clarifying our branding and messaging. Just before we went home for the Christmas break we pushed up a rev to our web site where we began segmenting our product lines more clearly, click HERE for the new home page. There is more new to come from Dynon during 2019 in this regard.

We appreciate your interest in AFS and Dynon and apologize for any lack of responsiveness!

Any chance of putting the Dynon repair cost back to $250? My D100 is waiting at UPS for you to reopen after the holiday break. Dim lights

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. The first time I called AFS and spoke to a sales guy who really couldn't answer detailed questions about the quick panels so he was supposed to give Rob my contact info for him to call me. I waited about a month then used their websites contact section where you fill in the info for them to contact you about a quote for a panel. Didn't hear anything from that either. I only hear great things about them here on VAF so I am kind of at a loss as why I'm not getting anywhere. I ordered the adahrs so I could get it in before riveting on the final top skin which I wanted to do while my riveting partner is home on break from college. I have plenty of other things to do on the plane so I'm trying to be patient.

David,

I show I sent you an email response on October 9th. Most customers will tell you that if you don't get a pretty fast response from me something is wrong, pretty much 365 days a year. We get a lot of calls where people forget to leave their phone number, talk so fast that we can't understand it, or just don't leave a message.

We always have ADAHRS units in stock and can generally ship the same day. We have panel package discounts and can ship you early components before we design the panel.

Rob Hickman
[email protected]
Office: (503) 263-0037 ext: 2011

Thanks Rob! For whatever reason I never received the email. I also got a response from Pacific Avionics today that they didn't fill out the PO for the adahrs until the 21st. She wasn't sure why the girl doing the online ordering waited 6 days to fill out the PO to actually get it ordered. She apologized.
I look forward to speaking with you sometime after the 1st. Thanks for the response!
Dave

I suspect you'll have more than a few weeks before that internship starts, so you should be able to get lots of riveting done :)

Well to be precise we are leaving in 2 weeks and 5 days for the drive to Houston. The internship starts on the 22nd. If i don't get the adahrs for another week that leaves 1 week and 5 days to do the work. Everyone knows how life gets in the way when trying to get something done so a week and 5 days is maybe optimistic. I know I can always install the adahrs after riveting on the final skin but it will definitely be easier before it.

Glad to hear Dynon and AFS are getting back with you. They have both been very responsive and helpful whenever I contacted them.

Now for the reason for my post. I would re consider final installing any electronics before riveting. It is a great idea to test fit and even place wiring but remove electronics before riveting. I can?t see the vibration and possible damage from riviting being worth it. If the final install once all the panels are in is going to be too difficult then you may want to reconsider placement. Serviceability in the future is a huge bonus.

As always, this is just an opinion. Build on.

Glad to hear Dynon and AFS are getting back with you. They have both been very responsive and helpful whenever I contacted them.

Now for the reason for my post. I would re consider final installing any electronics before riveting. It is a great idea to test fit and even place wiring but remove electronics before riveting. I can?t see the vibration and possible damage from riviting being worth it. If the final install once all the panels are in is going to be too difficult then you may want to reconsider placement. Serviceability in the future is a huge bonus.

As always, this is just an opinion. Build on.

Thanks Joel for the good advice! My plan is to get the adahrs installed with all the wiring and tubing then most likely remove just the adahrs for the reasons you described during riveting. Running the wiring etc will be easier with with the skin off I believe. But hey what do I know, this is the first time I've built an airplane.:D Guess I'll find out if I'm right when I'm knee deep in it!

Great job. Running the wires, tubing and making mounts is so much easier with skins off. As things get closer to the end, you will be so used to waiting for parts or needing them before you got a chance to order them, this instance will be long forgotten.

Always try to think of future service and inspection. You will thank yourself later.

Well to be precise we are leaving in 2 weeks and 5 days for the drive to Houston. The internship starts on the 22nd. If i don't get the adahrs for another week that leaves 1 week and 5 days to do the work. Everyone knows how life gets in the way when trying to get something done so a week and 5 days is maybe optimistic. I know I can always install the adahrs after riveting on the final skin but it will definitely be easier before it.

Skating close to the rules here, but I'm saying I don't think that internship is going to be starting on the 22nd. Make alternate plans, hopefully some which include more riveting ;)

Skating close to the rules here, but I'm saying I don't think that internship is going to be starting on the 22nd. Make alternate plans, hopefully some which include more riveting ;)

Ahhh I just realized what you were talking about. Yeah hopefully things work out in the next couple weeks!!

Thanks Rob! For whatever reason I never received the email. I also got a response from Pacific Avionics today that they didn't fill out the PO for the adahrs until the 21st. She wasn't sure why the girl doing the online ordering waited 6 days to fill out the PO to actually get it ordered. She apologized.
I look forward to speaking with you sometime after the 1st. Thanks for the response!
Dave

I just resent the email answering your question. If you have question over the weekend email me you phone number and I will call you.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Back