What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight training with my oldest Daughter

crabandy

Well Known Member
My oldest has quite a bit of time in the RV over the past 9 years, problem is it’s mostly been point to point XC. She can push the buttons, talk on the radio and hold alt/heading pretty darn good.

High schoolers’ and working dads are pretty busy but we finally settled on Wednesday evenings to prioritize a flight lesson, we’re currently several lessons in. Working on getting access to a traditional trainer at some point but for now the RV can spoil her.

She is NOT a fan of stalls, the questions came up last lesson so I decided it was a good time to try and acclimate her a bit. I used about 20-25% power for a less aggressive power on stall scenario, I demonstrated a couple and gave her the controls. Really wish I woulda captured her first couple reactions but we were busy, learning is occurring……..

View my video at https://andycrabtree.smugmug.com/Flying-with-family/i-TLjMgxd

Attachments

• 47FE81B2-2095-4F20-B0B7-37EC90381922.jpg
    47FE81B2-2095-4F20-B0B7-37EC90381922.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 722
  • BD04F6CC-8D88-4D3D-BF0C-95E790FFE73D.jpg
    BD04F6CC-8D88-4D3D-BF0C-95E790FFE73D.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 537
Congrats.
Very few of us Dads or Grand dads, get this privilege.

In this world, we would like our work to be enjoyable, as they say, love your job and never work a day in your life. Well, lots of people have to take what they can get in a job for whatever reason. Our job as parents or grand parents is to help the kids find what they love. So we help expose them to different things like sports or music or construction or aviation or mechanics or even math/engineering, drama/acting, etc. in hopes they discover the path that they love, a gift that will last a lifetime.

Not every parent can personally expose their kids to aviation/flying personally like you can. Some bring their kids to young eagles events etc. So even if your daughter decides......
You have done your part.....again, Congrats

I taught two of my daughter to fly while they were still in high school and I'm inclined to believe it helped them get into prestigious universities, Wellesley and Carnegie Mellon. My assumption is it helped make their application unique and noticeable. Both private pilot, one had IFR ticket as a senior.

Working on getting access to a traditional trainer at some point but for now the RV can spoil her.

My son completed his PPL training a year ago in our 6A. He has never even sat in a classic trainer. While the insurance is steep, I would argue that it is a good bit less expensive to train in your own plane and it better prepares them for flying that plane later on, assuming you plan to let her use the 7 ;) The other advantage is that the extra hours in type help to more quickly get your insurance rates back in line with what you are used to. For very low time pilots, they want to see 100 hours in type to get what I would call reasonable rates. We got my son 100 hours in that first year and the rates dropped back to pretty close to where they were before we added him.

Larry

Last edited:
Flying with your daughter.......

My oldest has quite a bit of time in the RV over the past 9 years, problem is it’s mostly been point to point XC. She can push the buttons, talk on the radio and hold alt/heading pretty darn good.

There are several GREAT things about this thread: the video of her experiencing a stall are priceless! She'll get over that, I'm sure. Unfortunately, most instruction does NOT include stall training!:confused::eek::confused: Approach to a stall but not a complete stall. It is also not a requirement of the private check ride. Makes no sense to me. How do you recover from a stall if you have never been in one..... But I digress....

GREAT you are getting her instruction. Looks like she has been flying with you for a while and must enjoy it. I think she got her new puppy with you flying her somewhere.....

GREAT you are getting the younger generation interested in flying. I'm sure her friends are aware and that word can spread. We need younger people coming up to replace us Pelicans.....

GREAT you are getting a girl (soon to be woman....!) interested in flying. She needs to be aware of how few women fly. She is now one of the 7%ers! (Look up Daretofly and get her a 7%er hat and some of those cool T-shirts!) She should also look up Women in Aviation and the 99s and join. Keep her interest UP! Is she an EAA member yet?

Good job! Spread the word....!!

Unfortunately, most instruction does NOT include stall training!:confused::eek::confused: Approach to a stall but not a complete stall. It is also not a requirement of the private check ride.

I am not sure that's correct. The ACS requires the examiner to evaluate the applicants ability to "recover promptly after a full stall occurs." How do you do that without a complete stall?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.59.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.59.07 AM.png
    458.9 KB · Views: 151
Daughter's motivation

My son started his flying lessons before i started my build.

My daughter just started her flying lessons. i asked her why she wants to learn how to fly?

Her response, "I don't want my brother to be the only one that flies your plane"

I am not sure that's correct. The ACS requires the examiner to evaluate the applicants ability to "recover promptly after a full stall occurs." How do you do that without a complete stall?

+1

My son was required to do a full, power off stall with proper recovery for his PPL a year ago. They wanted him to go past the break and to see the nose fall to assess his recovery skill. Definitely more than an awareness drill. Required a full power on accelerated stall as well. It would be REALLY SAD if they stop requiring demonstration of such an important skill as stall recovery. The very worst thing we could do is send pilots out into the world that are afraid of stalls. Fear leads to panic and panic leads to mistakes.

Larry

Last edited:
Hey, she seems more confident and composed than I was when I first did stalls with a CFI. And I was probably TWICE her age at the time.:rolleyes:

Full stalls for PP license

The FAA keeps changing its mind. In the 1950’s it was full stalls and spins. By 1980 it was full stalls but no spins. Then, …I forget when…., it was ‘approach to stalls’. Now, as of a few years ago, it is back to full stalls.

To stall or not to stall; that is the question......

The FAA keeps changing its mind. In the 1950’s it was full stalls and spins. By 1980 it was full stalls but no spins. Then, …I forget when…., it was ‘approach to stalls’. Now, as of a few years ago, it is back to full stalls.

My partner is currently working on her PPL. She is about to take her check ride and has been told full stalls will not be part of the exam. I looked up the ACS that is current to 2019 (which means it is "old"). It requires full stall and recovery. [PA.VII.B.S7 Acknowledge cues of the impending stall and then recover promptly after a full stall occurs. PA.VII.B.S8 Execute a stall recovery in accordance with procedures set forth in the POH/AFM.] My RM's instructor who had previously worked in a large flight school instructing, now a right seater in The Big Birds (and who is fabulous, by the way) said full stalls were not part of the curriculum there and were not required on the test flight. The rational is that they don't want to freak students out by doing full stalls! :eek::confused: We have had several discussions about this with eyes rolling :rolleyes: and unanimously believe it's not a good trend. Her ride is a 1964 straight-tailed Cessna 150 (CUTE) and one of our instructor friends can't WAIT to teach her to do spins, which are approved in that airplane.

SO: I don't know. She is slated for her check ride in early October so I will report back with "current requirements". (shrug shoulder Emoji).....

Thanks everyone!

I am lucky to have several kiddos interested in flying, especially if there’s a destination involved! I know the training will be invaluable to them regardless which career path they go down, I know there are lots of opportunities for the ladies in aviation.

I believe this is the most current copy of the Private ACS off the faa website and it clearly states “full stall” for the Skills portion of stalls. I’ve always explored the different versions of stalls with my students after they are proficient and comfortable. In addition to teaching them how to do a stall correctly it’s beneficially to teach them how to do them poorly. Performing power on stalls with zero rudder until recovery really highlights the need for rudder/turning tendency/spin entry etc. I know the old PTS by heart and finally found a good excuse to make myself learn/utilize the ACS.

Attachments

• 6C0E71B9-508A-40D9-9757-0C734332F9FD.jpg
    6C0E71B9-508A-40D9-9757-0C734332F9FD.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Stalls/spins

Spin requirement ended in the early 50's. As far as Private check ride, just do what the examiner wants and then go get some REAL stall spin training.
A real eye opener is the article in a recent AOPA Pilot by Catherine C. (Ace Aerobatics) regarding instructors who are clueless about stalls.

Daughter Pilot

I showed the photo to my 10 year old daughter and she’s now keen to start in the 9 A. A PPL in your resume is something I did not think off but it does raise eye brows when your competing for a spot, also she plays tenor drum in my Pipe Band on Anzac Day, all those little things can get you over the line 😍

I taught two of my daughter to fly while they were still in high school and I'm inclined to believe it helped them get into prestigious universities, Wellesley and Carnegie Mellon. My assumption is it helped make their application unique and noticeable. Both private pilot, one had IFR ticket as a senior.

Couldn't agree more. My son is an Eddison Aerospace Engineer for GE and an MIT ME graduate. He used RV aviation examples in his application for both. While he was a good student and athlete, neither would have warranted his academic and professional opportunities. RV's open doors!

Awesome!

I'm a little disappointed in myself. I'm a very rusty pilot who let life get in the way and stopped flying around about the time my oldest was born. I've always maintained interest, the AOPA and EAA magazine have always been delivered, I've drug them to sun n fun and airventure a few times, etc....

but I've only taken my oldest up once, a couple years ago not long before covid, went up for a fun "discovery flight" with an instructor and my son in the back seat. He didn't express any real interest...but just in the last couple months he's said a few things about it.

Anyway, I regret not exposing all three of my kids more to it.

I've gotta get back up there, and knock the rust off very soon!

Good on you for doing a better job than I did!

Back