What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX Battery mount mod

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
So like many of you I decided to use an EarthX Lithium battery as opposed to the standard NiCAD. This of course means modifying the battery tray in the RV-10. My first attempt (which was still successful, picture 1) was using aluminum angle riveted to hold down the battery without modifying the stock location.

After showing this to some guys at work, one offered to design a 3D printed battery tray for me. After some back and forth and a couple test runs we finally got it right and were able to print 2 pieces that together hold the EarthX perfectly in place with no modification to the existing battery tray. The plastic parts just slip into place. Should fit either the ETX680, ETX900, or ETX1200 as they are all the same size box

Not too bad for a side project. Amazing what 3D printers can do for experimental aviation.

Attachments

• Accessories 14.jpg
    Accessories 14.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 206
  • Accessories 15.jpg
    Accessories 15.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 215
  • Accessories 16.jpg
    Accessories 16.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Accessories 17.jpg
    Accessories 17.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 238
Hey Jon, I'm guessing a high temperature filament was used, which kind was it ? Which 3D printer ?

That turned out very nice, and probably a lot lighter than the original aluminum solution. I have a feeling we're going to see more and more clever uses of 3d printing like this one in the coming years.

Hey Jon, I'm guessing a high temperature filament was used which kind was it ? Which 3D printer ?

He said it was a high temp filament (not that it should matter much in a cold tail section), but that is about all I know about it. I am on a work trip for the next couple days, but will gladly ask him when I get back to the office

Last edited:
So I have received a lot of requests for both the STL file and for printing them for builders. I am going to talk to my buddy at work in regards to what he would ask cost wise to print, package and ship them, but if your interested in one then feel free to PM me your email and I will gather together a list for him. He said it was about a 14 hour print, so it may take him a bit to print a few of them.

EarthX Battery Mount Mod

Jon I wanted to thank you for the STL file on this mount mod. This was my first effort at 3D printing and I'm very pleased with the results. I had been trying to develop a printed design but your offset idea was what I was missing. I will need to make another slight mod because I am planning the vented battery. But this will just require a small cut on the back side of the mount. One of my Tech Counselors saw it today and was very impressed. Thanks again for the great idea!

Attachments

• Battery Bracket Left View.jpg
    Battery Bracket Left View.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Battery Bracket Back View.jpg
    Battery Bracket Back View.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 156
Venting in the back

Using a vented battery for the rear location in the 10 never a bad idea but just FYI Earth X told me (verbal at EAA) that this was probably unnecessary since the 10 has enough airflow already going front to rear. It does make since given the small tubes can only pass a given volume of air. Just FYI, build as you feel needed. If anyone hears different from EarthX please let us know.

Back