What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Backlog

Marlonyoung

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just got my Bill of Sale from Vans, and have my FAA letter with reserved N number (that took over 4 months to acquire) and getting ready to send in the Bill of Sale and Registration of my RV4 I hope to complete and fly this year.

Tried calling the FAA, and they were to busy to even put me in the que and now concerned about their back log - they say they are just now processing documents received in mid January, a 5 month backlog. That means even if I hand delivered it today, it would be almost December before they processed it (and hopefully did not find a period out of place and reject it). I hope to have the airplane ready for the DAR inspection before then.

Anyone aware of ways to expedite the paperwork to get a registration sooner then 5 months out?

I submitted my application recently, maybe 2 months ago? I've already received my registration! They surprised me!

Evidently, they prioritize initial applications.

Evidently, they prioritize initial applications.

Yes, that is correct. Someone else reported here that he recently sent in ‘N number reservation requests’ and then sent in a registration request (with N number requests) and the registration went thru before the reservation request.

PS. As soon as your registration request goes thru, expect a letter from the state asking if you’ve paid CA sales/use taxes. You will also get a letter from the county about property tax. CA property taxes apply to ‘airplanes’. If you get your AW done in 2022 you’ll owe property tax, payable aug 2023. But if you are delayed getting your AW until Jan 2023, your first property tax isn’t due until aug 2024. If the county calls/writes (and they will), send them a copy of the AW (or tell them you don’t have it yet, if that’s the case) and they won’t bother you until next year.

Last edited:
Registration

I paid $200 to “Aerospace reports” in OKlahoma City and got it 72 hrs later as I didn’t plan ahead and my DAR inspection was coming up soon. It was worth it. They apparently get expedited handling.
Cal

FAA Registration branch does indeed give priority to initial registration requests.

Typically what I see is initial registrations being turned around within a week going through normal channels.

Thanks

That is encouraging because I thought I was ahead of the game with registration, and all the sudden I started to get worried I might be behind the game

Picture

Working on it daily

Attachments

• A5B14634-CD57-4D41-8183-CE6E211A37D9.jpg
    A5B14634-CD57-4D41-8183-CE6E211A37D9.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 157
I paid $200 to “Aerospace reports” in OKlahoma City and got it 72 hrs later as I didn’t plan ahead and my DAR inspection was coming up soon. It was worth it. They apparently get expedited handling.
Cal

Aerospace Reports is apparently right down the street from FAA. They walk the paperwork over personally. They handled the registration transfer when I bought my Mooney and it was quick and flawless. Worth the money? Depends on how dear time is to you.

15 Months! :(

We purchased our -10 in March of last year. We are still waiting for the registration to come back from the FAA. I have spoken to many (all very nice) people but still...nothing. I asked about flying up to Oklahoma City and hand delivering documents and they said because of Covid they do not take walk-ins. I hope and pray your experience is vastly better than ours.

I talked with a nice gentleman at the FAA. It is prioritizing original registrations for experimental aircraft. If you have reserved an N-number but haven't received your confirmation letter, it is okay to send in the registration form with the same N-number. The FAA will match the N-number in the queue.

Back