What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LP Aero Windows

Tlrguy

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried the LP Aero front windows with vent window? I had these on my Bonanza and it made all the difference on the ground on those hot Summer days.

Being that the RV10 doors open vertically, I can’t imagine taxiing with the doors open is a long term solution to keeping the cabin cooler while on the ground. Seems like an accident waiting to happen to me.

The only other solution to lower cabin temps on the ground would be an A/C setup, which adds a complex system to a relatively simple airplane.

Know nothing about LP Windows but

Keeping the doors "floating" during ground operation is certainly what I do
and temps around here often exceed 100F during summer.

"Close and lock doors" plus "check door closed light" are on my checklist twice,
once at the end of my starting procedure and again at the end of the run up procedure. You can hold the door while taxiing, instruct a passenger to do the same or attach a lanyard to keep the door from swinging all the way up.

Your alternative windshield installation will cost you a considerable amount of money and time IMHO.
AC will add a lot of weight, complexity and a significant cost and maintenance increase.

Keeping the doors open during taxi is simple and there is no downside.
I always ensure that the doors are closed at the end of the run up and I never let anyone else close the doors no matter who it is.
My doors have no extra latches, just stock with a McMaster seal, good and tight.

You can hold the door while taxiing, instruct a passenger to do the same or attach a lanyard to keep the door from swinging all the way up.

I think this could be possible if every passenger was also a pilot. My experiences have confirmed that passengers just don’t know how important it is that those doors don’t forcefully open. At least a stiff tailwind on the ground won’t rip the door out of your hands on the RV10, so that could be slightly more reassuring.

Hopefully someone will respond to your actual question on LP Aero Windows before this thread goes sideways.
Having been involved with all things RV for more than 20 years, this is the first time I have seen or heard of LP Aero Windows.

As to your concern with the gull wing doors slamming open, it is simply not an issue. Passengers do an excellent job of holding the door and most of the time holding them is really not necessary. If you don't trust the passenger just open the pilots side and hang on to it yourself. One side open is as good as both, plenty of air entering the cabin. Also, when it's a hundred degrees it is usually calm.
Although the doors will come off in flight if not properly closed and locked, they don't just fall off in a stiff wind during taxi even if they "slammed" up for some reason.

Maybe someone will respond to your original question.

I also just held mine open. You also get a pretty good airflow through the NACA vents from the prop blast while stationary.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I’m hoping someone will chime in that has experience with the LP Aero acrylics on the RV10.

Another huge benefit of the LP product is their ability to almost eliminate UV. The specs claim 100% reduction in UV-B and 99% reduction in UV-A. That’s some pretty important stuff.

Cee Bailey says their product has some UV reduction. I assume the stock Vans setup will be similar. I’ll call today to verify.

For anyone wondering, the Lp Aero complete tinted set with storm windows and the UV protection will cost about $1800 more than the stock Vans acrylics after taking into account deletions. No small chunk of change.

I, too, would like to hear anyone's experience with the LP Aero windows. I hadn't even heard of them until today.

Does anyone know if a thicker door window will cause any issues? The LP Aero door windows are .180 inches thick as compared to the .125 of the stock and Cee Bailey setup.

Looking at the plans I do see you need to shim the windows to flush in regards to the outside of the canopy door structure.

Back