What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Black dust landing gear leg

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Is this normal to have a little black powder/dust on the landing gear? This is on the nose gear of a 9A with 50 hours of flight time.

Attachments

• NoseWheelGearLegDust.png
    NoseWheelGearLegDust.png
    756.2 KB · Views: 272
Settling in

Parts will rub and settle in. At 50 hours, wipe it off and fly. It will likely slowly stop. If concerned, pull tail down and give the gear leg a good shake to verify all is tight.

Fix it now..

You don't have an issue yet,however its not good to have the gear legs loose their paint finish. The hardened steel will corrode, and weak points will develop. The inside of the fairings alone are like sandpaper to paint, and once in service, dirt and grime will add to the destruction.Take the fairings off, paint the legs with epoxy or urethane and smooth/paint the inside of the fairings to seal up the fibers. I also recommend teflon tape applied to the inside of the fairings. I went a bit farther and painted the insides of mine with teflon infused urethane paint.There is a ton of wear going on inside every time the gear flexes, and it will cause problems eventually. I inspect alot of RV's and often see rusted legs underneath. Wrapping the legs with tape works also, however, I don't like anything that will hold moisture.

Back