What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Titan IOX-360 high oil temps

Daida

Well Known Member
SOLVED - Titan IOX-360 high oil temps

Hi community!

Im in Phase 1, flight testing.

I have oil squirters installed that permanently spray oil onto the pistons from below. Results are rather cool CHT’s, but quite high oil temps. I get easily 230*F when i use WOT which the engine needs for break in.
When i throttle back, the oil temps come back as well.

So, my oil cooler is too small!

I researched the issue and found out that this issue is well known and for 360’s with squirters the recommended oilcooler size is one up from the standard one. Some sources even say to use one designed for the 540 series.

I could have known that earlier, i know.(duuuh!)

Anyway, as the space between firewall and engine is quite congested with other stuff (battery, cabin heat valve, etc...), i figured that the easiest solution would be to just put a bigger oil cooler onto the baffles behind Cyl#4.

As i am certainly not the only guy out there with this engine i am interested in the solutions you came up with.

I would be pleased to see pictures from your installations. Either post it in the thread or email me directly

rv-8projekt(at)web.de

Projekt with k instead of c, german spelling :D

Looking forward for your answers, solutions, ideas, whatever

Last edited:
I installed the "HE" series oil cooler from Pacific Oil Cooler, which has the same footprint as the stock item, on the baffle behind #4 cylinder. It reduced my oil temps by 20 degrees so that in cruise I'm seeing 180 degrees. I no longer have oil temp issues on hot days-most of the days here in Florida- or in slow flight or quick turnarounds.

Solution!!

I finally got the issue solved for good.

It took a year in total.

I started with adding a “spoiler” on the lower cowling outlet to enhance suction to get rid of the hot air, thus enhancing airflow through the oil cooler.

That helped a little, but not to my satisfaction.

Then i switched the 9 row cooler to the 13 row cooler.
The ECi TITAN manual recommends to go one size up for the oil cooler (well, i somehow missed that part the first time…) due to the heat ammount in the oil due to the squirters.
But not to have to do it twice, i decided to go 2 sizes up and actually found a place for the 13 row cooler. I had to come up with a homemade duct as the oil cooler is not behind the baffle anymore. I also added a shutter valve.

Hint for future builders:
If you install a engine with squirters and/or live in hot&high environment, put the oil cooler on the other side, behind cylinder #3. This will give you more space for an larger oil cooler and there is already a custom solution out there that you can buy.

The big oil cooler combined with the spoiler worked well but looked ugly.

After market research, i found carbon cooling louvers in the motorsport world that i liked and finally put in.
I cut the cowling, sanded down the outer layer to the honeycomb, epoxied them in and put layer on top to make it nice.

Now i like the looks (cowling will be re-painted after 20 hours and no cracks).
The temps are right where i want them (CHT’s 300-ish, Oil 180-ish).
Full power climbs are no factor any more.
The “spoiler” is gone and i gained 7 KTAS.

Full success, i would say!

Have a great weekend!

Attachments

• 16A835B2-DE6E-4B14-8ED9-43B8BA9C4388.jpg
    16A835B2-DE6E-4B14-8ED9-43B8BA9C4388.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 3C912215-7873-4A56-ACE1-21EB69297B10.jpg
    3C912215-7873-4A56-ACE1-21EB69297B10.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 128
  • B7AC2564-FA73-4C27-BE11-1C07A66DB7DD.jpg
    B7AC2564-FA73-4C27-BE11-1C07A66DB7DD.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 7607B8E8-AD70-409A-9AD5-88A543065DFC.jpg
    7607B8E8-AD70-409A-9AD5-88A543065DFC.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 151
HE cooler with IO-370, high compression with squirters, no oil temp problems in Tx

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 201
HE cooler with IO-370, high compression with squirters, no oil temp problems in Tx

Add a little baffle material to that gap behind #4. Can't hurt -- see pic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 9.24.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 9.24.38 AM.png
    417 KB · Views: 139
Add a little baffle material to that gap behind #4. Can't hurt -- see pic.

There is actually a piece there, hard to see in the pic though, my CHT's rarely top 350 and oil temps generally 180-200 so I'm pretty happy with cooling.

Which HE cooler

Walt....which HE cooler is installed on that engine? Will it fit on the baffling?

Yes, running high temps here with that exact motor.

Thanks

Walt....which HE cooler is installed on that engine? Will it fit on the baffling?

Thanks
Directly bolting a heavy oil cooler (when full of oil and oil hoses hanging cantilevered off it) on the flimsy aluminum baffle is sure receipt for cracking the baffle.

Second the high oil temp is in part due to breaking in. The OP never said how hot was hot and what ambient temps were, power setting and flight condition (level cruise, climb).

Thanks
The one I used won't fit on the baffle, 2 yrs later no oil cooling issues.
AERO CLASSIC OIL COOLER HE 8001649

Back