What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correct Brake Disk Part number for RV-10 Main?

mikelupo

Patron
Hello,
I have an RV-10 and the best that I can tell I have Cleveland brake parts. (Def not Matco)
In fact, I've replaced my liners with #66-105 liners which are for Cleveland calipers.
The new brake disk I had ordered is part number RA164-07500. With the wheel off and on my bench, I compared the existing disk with the new disk. It all looks the same except the existing disk is taller (by about 1/4") than the new. I did not try the new disk because I believe that, it being shorter, would put the braking disk's surface closer to the inside of the wheel, hence, the outboard part (back-plate) of the caliper in contact inboard side of the wheel.

Does any one happen to know the proper disk part number for this?
Unfortunately, there are no log-book entires for past replacements that I can key my search from.

Last edited:
The original Cleveland brakes from the older RV-10s used the Rapco disk number you have, but the lining was RA-66-112. These are Rapco numbers, not Cleveland. There should be a number on your Caliper that should allow you to look up the correct number if you have Cleveland. With that you can buy Cleveland, Rapco or APS parts.

If I get to my hangar today I'll get the original number for you, but this only applies to the original Cleveland brakes that Vans sold. They have since changed to a different manufacturer, but you could have something after-market too.

-Marc

Hello,
I have an RV-10 and the best that I can tell I have Cleveland brake parts. (Def not Matco)
In fact, I've replaced my liners with #66-105 liners which are for Cleveland calipers.
The new brake disk I had ordered is part number RA164-07500. With the wheel off and on my bench, I compared the existing disk with the new disk. It all looks the same except the existing disk is taller (by about 1/4") than the new. I did not try the new disk because I believe that, it being shorter, would put the braking disk's surface closer to the inside of the wheel, hence, the outboard part (back-plate) of the caliper in contact inboard side of the wheel.

Does any one happen to know the proper disk part number for this?
Unfortunately, there are no log-book entires for past replacements that I can key my search from.

I decided to take it back to my hangar and tear into it again. This time I took the disk off the wheel. And sure enough, a part number is on the non-visible side. It's 018-006 REVB. Now, what the heck does that relate to? I'm finding NADDA for cross references. The calipers are Grove 36-2M. So at least that part is now demystified. The Wheels are also Grove. 60-2M. The disc is still a mystery!

Sounds like you have the OEM Grove brakes, which were used after Vans changed from Cleveland. I'll have to look at the plans CD to get the part number for you. You should order the CD so you have the parts info.

-Marc

I decided to take it back to my hangar and tear into it again. This time I took the disk off the wheel. And sure enough, a part number is on the non-visible side. It's 018-006 REVB. Now, what the heck does that relate to? I'm finding NADDA for cross references. The calipers are Grove 36-2M. So at least that part is now demystified. The Wheels are also Grove. 60-2M. The disc is still a mystery!

If the wheels are grove, I would have to assume it is a grove disc. I would call them to find a replacement.

Larry

Sounds like you have the OEM Grove brakes, which were used after Vans changed from Cleveland. I'll have to look at the plans CD to get the part number for you. You should order the CD so you have the parts info.

-Marc

Hi, I actually have the plans on thumb drive. They must have been updated since my build because they only reference the Cleveland 199-10400 disk/brake assemblies. I think my build came from plans ~2009.
So if you have the CD from back then yours may reference the Groves.

Thanks!!
Mike

Back