What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Toolbox Hinge

mcanalld

Probably a dumb question but I'm going to have a lot more so why not get the first one out of the way.

I don't have the toolbox kit instruction in front of me but when it talks about measuring the hinge it states to reverse them. Measuring the hinge seems pretty straight forward so don't want to over complicate it, but not knowing exactly what that means causes hesitation. So figured I'd ask before making a cut.

Thanks!
Dave

Have never done the tool box, so just speculation. I would think they want the hinge loop facing outside of the box, & easiest way to measure hinge material is when it is open & flat on the table. So any measurements you do is on the mating surface & should be in reverse so it lines up with the box side. If any of this makes sense...

I kept my toolbox to show me how crappy of a job I could do if I didnt take my time.

It s a good idea to take about 6" of extra hinge and a couple pieces of aluminum and do a test hinge. And order a second practice kit if your first looks like mine!! Good luck. You are n for a great adventure.

Attachments

• tool box  1.jpg
    tool box 1.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 217
  • tool box 2.jpg
    tool box 2.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 221
  • plane 1.jpg
    plane 1.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 171
Tool box

Mine was pretty bad but I've helped lots of kids build one since.
One recommendation, countersink the hinge. I seem to remember Vans instructions call for it to be dimpled. Probabiy because most noobies don't have a cage. It's fine but the hinge material tends to distort. Plus no hinges on the airplane are dimpled.

Probably a dumb question but I'm going to have a lot more so why not get the first one out of the way.

I don't have the toolbox kit instruction in front of me but when it talks about measuring the hinge it states to reverse them. Measuring the hinge seems pretty straight forward so don't want to over complicate it, but not knowing exactly what that means causes hesitation. So figured I'd ask before making a cut.

Thanks!
Dave

I don’t have the instructions in front of me either, but I seem to recall that reversing the hinge means pull out the pin and flip one hinge half around so they are opposite, then reinstall the pin.

My son and I built the toolbox and it was memorable. It now lives on the center raised section in the footwell of our RV7. Held by some riveted angles on the front and color coordinated bungee cords crossed over the rear. The normal travel tools and parts are in there. I have a Jepp bag with tire/wheel stuff for trips. Great spot for the toolbox and he gets to be reminded of the project as well.

One recommendation, countersink the hinge. I seem to remember Vans instructions call for it to be dimpled. Probabiy because most noobies don't have a cage. It's fine but the hinge material tends to distort. Plus no hinges on the airplane are dimpled.

I did see that on other posts. Time to read up on how to set that cage up. Hinge cut went fine. Looks great. Was worrying about nothing.

The countersink cage is a piece of cake. Loosen the retaining ring, adjust the top, and do test countersinks into some scrap. Be careful to keep the plastic flange clean of dirt and aluminum shavings or it will put minor scratches around your rivet.

I dimpled all of my hinges, but that is personal preference.

Back