What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Better is not always Better...

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
So I have been running a EDIS/Megajolt EI system in place of the right mag for about 18 months and it has performed flawlessly. The ignition pickup/sensor is mounted in place of the mag.

I decided it was time to replace the left mag as well with a second EI. The first ststem used an inexpensive toyota ignition pickup. As said before. It has performed flawlessly.

For the second system, I decided to use a fancy MSD pickup. I liked the mounting better and it seemed like a more robust part. Long story short, the MSD unit was garbage and caused the ignition to misfire quite a bit. So, I had to rework the left side system to use the same 1985 Toyota 22R ignition pickup. The revised system is working great.

So, better isn't always better...haha

Picture isn't the final finished unit, just what I had on my phone, to give to an idea...
20191214-001925.jpg

Confused..... Why is the shaft so long? What does the other end look like?

What parts were from Toyota?

Confused..... Why is the shaft so long? What does the other end look like?

What parts were from Toyota?

The shaft is reperposed from a magneto. That picture was from before I machined it down. The final version has the shaft flush with the timing wheel.

The pickup coil/inductive coil that senses the passing teeth of the timing wheel is the same one used in toyota distributors, and a number of other vehicles.

Here is the final assembly, ready to install.

20200101-200547.jpg

And installed in place of the right magneto.

20200102-210222.jpg

Last edited:
Looks cool, Colin. Also looks like you changed the gasket. Always interesting to see people experimenting. I think DanH is also running the megajolt.

There would more than likely be a lot more people running the system if it could be purchased already made. This is something that must be made and parts sourced by the person using it.

There would more than likely be a lot more people running the system if it could be purchased already made. This is something that must be made and parts sourced by the person using it.

I made a very similar unit, though machined the shaft instead of using one from a mag when I installed a megasquirt system on my 6. I made two and dont think I will use the second one (will likely add a second pickup to the current unit if I add a second ignition on the 6) and happy to sell it. I would also make these on a semi production basis, if there is interest. The units could use either VR pickups, like above, or hall effect, like I used.

Larry

Looks cool, Colin. Also looks like you changed the gasket. Always interesting to see people experimenting. I think DanH is also running the megajolt.

Yes, pretty much the same as Dan's. I have a number of posts in that thread as well. The o-ring base seals have worked out well so far. Don't leak a drop. I did find that a slick mag shaft is a better choice than one from a bendix.

Anyone remember the old Chrylser dual pickup distributors? Crazy idea for a dual redundant pickup coil back up. Incase one of the pickup wires broke.
We used to use a single pickup to trigger a GM HEI control module (relocated to the race car interior electronics panel). Bullet proof.

Tom
P/S---great work Colin!

Back