What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Practice Toolbox cutting handle rods

irontrack

Hey all, I'm almost done with the practice toolbox and still setting up my shop. I tried cutting the hinge pin and rod for the handle with a pair of tin snips and immediately felt that I was going to ruin my snips if I did it.

Does anyone have advice about what to use to cut these?

I'm about to go looking for a bandsaw (for the build in general) would that be ok to use provided I had the right blade?

other options?

Don't use tin snips..... they are for tin. Place in a vise and cut with a hack saw or cutoff wheel. A good set of Lineman plyers will do it.

Too small for a band saw.

Small triangle file. Notch it halfway, snap it off, dress the end. Fast, accurate, easy.

Band saw not recommended. I destroyed my blade trying to cut through hinge pin. Stick with dremel and cutoff wheel

Dikes work

A good pair of diagonal pliers is all you need for the cutting, then dress the cut with your grinder or file. I like the Kleins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bnqFwAf7HM

-Marc

Hey all, I'm almost done with the practice toolbox and still setting up my shop. I tried cutting the hinge pin and rod for the handle with a pair of tin snips and immediately felt that I was going to ruin my snips if I did it.

Does anyone have advice about what to use to cut these?

I'm about to go looking for a bandsaw (for the build in general) would that be ok to use provided I had the right blade?

other options?

Last edited:
I ditched it altogether a d riveted a strip of leather on there. Who wants to pick up a tool box by that tiny pin for a handle?

Back